Bubble Magus skimmer not working

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by ultramafic, Feb 7, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ultramafic

ultramafic Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Noticed my display was full of micro bubbles so i look into my sump and my Bubble Magus Nac-7 cone skimmer has no bubbles in it, instead all of the bubble are in the skimmer section of my sump. So the skimmer is still making bubbles but it's blowing them right out instead of the bubbles collecting in the neck to produce that nasty foam. I've tried getting ahold of the company i bought it from but they didn't answer so i'm still waiting for an email response, and bubble magus over in china didn't answer either so i'm hoping somebody online can help me out. Help a brotha out!

2. Click Here!

3. ultramafic

I know you are supposed to replace the meshwheel after 8 months or so, anybody know if this is caused by a bad meshweel?

4. ultramafic

took it offline, cleaned out what i could and currently have it running in a bucket with vinegar and water. maybe some calcium deposit jammed something. i'll keep yall posted.

5. ultramafic

The vinegar bath seems to have fixed it. I think something was jammed or blocking some passage. I ran it for a full day then cleaned off all coraline and calcium deposits and shes running like a champ again.

6. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Glad to hear - skimmers are sure important!!!

7. K3rack

K3rack Peppermint Shrimp

Quick question, does the vinegar actually remove the coralline algae? Mine is getting to the point of where I need a serious clean but I don't want to put much effort into it :p

8. Click Here!

9. hydrologic

hydrologic Feather Duster

Good to hear that it's working again. My BM NAC 3.5 started doing the exact same thing 2 weeks ago. I discovered that the airline was clogged with salt creep where it meets the pump. Cleaned it out and it works like a charm now.

10. ultramafic

The vinegar break down the coraline to the point where you can simply wipe it off.

11. ultramafic

Skimmer died!

The pump on my skimmer is not even turning on anymore! No clicking no whirring no vibration, nothing. I've tried to get ahold of Sea Aquatics where i got it from but i haven't gotten a response from them yet. Anybody have this experience with a bubble magus pump? Its about 5 months old.

12. K3rack

K3rack Peppermint Shrimp

Did you take it apart? Sometimes if you take a pump out of the saltwater without freshwater rinse it can freeze up. Take it apart, spin it until it's smooth in fresh water and try again.