Bubble Magus NAC6 Skimmer Unboxed

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by Matt Rogers, Nov 30, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

The story of the Bubble Magus NAC6 protein skimmer is not that of the latest cone clone, for (gasp!) it's not a cone. But, rather, quiet possibly the greatest value for your money in the skimmer market today. Having just unboxed a NAC6 this weekend, our initial impressions are strong and we challenge you to find another 6"x20" skimmer of this caliber for $156 delivered to your door. Bubble Magus has upped the ante. Here are 16 close up pics of the NAC6 out of the box.

[​IMG]
    Bubble Magus NAC6 Protein Skimmer Unboxed

Bubble Magus NAC6 Protein Skimmer Specifications:

Meshwheel protein skimmer
    BM-NAC6
    Capability : 400L-600L (100G-160G)
    pump:atman ph2500 (made in china)
    Pump power: 28W, 220V 50Hz /110V 60Hz * (*pump received says 45.5 watts)
    air intake : 500L/H
    Dimensions: 170 * 265 * 500 mm ( 6.7" * 10.4" * 19.6 ")
    cylinder: 6"
    Water Level :9.5"-11"

[CLICK THE FOLLOWING PICS TO ENLARGE]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Extra mesh wheel was a nice touch.

[​IMG]
    Injector fit pump well.

[​IMG]
    Air muffler

[​IMG]
    Bubble box with etched label. The nice finish on the Bubble Magus NAC6 was unexpected for $156.

[​IMG]
    Anybody read Chinese? This mystery piece was not in the parts diagram. First thoughts were that it was a neck extension. This proved false as it was too wide. Actual width of this piece matches the skimmate diffuser in the cup lid. Very strange. :confused:

[​IMG]
    The Bubble Magus site lists the Atman 2500 pump at 28 watts. Yet label says 45.5 watts. Not sure what this means. Worth noting. Label also lists max head at 2.35 meters and 2800 l/h.

[​IMG]
    Seating the bubble box presented one of the few challenges in assembly of the NAC6. Threaded bolt had to be seated into box (with rubber o-ring all the way in) prior to threading into pump so that threads would catch. Not a big deal.

[​IMG]
    Over-sized valve is a nice touch too.

[​IMG]
    Big gasket on skimmer cup helped skimmer cup have a nice snug fit on skimmer neck. Not too tight, not loose. Just nice. Another high quality impression on a $156 skimmer.

[​IMG]
    More label etchings on parts.

[​IMG]
    Pump slid easily on to mount. All bolts fit well.

[​IMG]
    One of the few challenges was getting the pump cord to do some right angles to get beneath and out of the reactor tube. Not much space to work with. Just enough actually. This could be refined a bit on future models.

[​IMG]
    The NAC6 standing tall. Assembly did not take all that long once I stopped staring at it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    If you have a Neo Nano aquarium with provided 18x18x18 sump, the NAC6 is an ideal skimmer that fits between wall and baffle very well with plenty of room to work with. The tall baffle is 9" tall so water level will be raised 1" to provide optimum water level per instuctions (9.5" to 11") and leave enough room for overflow drain with sump pump off.

[​IMG]

Initial impressions of NAC6:

Very impressive quality for $156 to your door. Thick plastic with etched labels. Many parts fit well. Pretty easy to assemble.

Instructions were translated fairly well. Some terms gave pause. Skimmer tube is refered to as 'main react bucket.' Bubble box is 'leading box.' Good pointers noted though for maintenance and optimum running.

Pump in reactor tube design is great for space savings, but does require a bit more work for cleaning as entire skimmer will have to be removed from sump. That said, being able to clean main tube is nice.

Overall - extremely impressed. This has to be a contender for best value on the skimmer market for the money. Hard to beat.

Of course, look for part 2 later this week when the NAC6 gets turned on after arrival of RO/DI later today and water gets added to this Neo Nano. Then the real test begins. Until then, it is an impressive looking skimmer that is 1/3 the cost of its peers.

THIS SKIMMER IS CURRENTLY SOLD OUT THROUGH NUOCEAN. :p
    Next shipment will arrive in 6 weeks. You might want to get in line. :)

Official Bubble Magus Web site:
    BUBBLE-MAGUS

Nuocean (USA distributor):
    Nuocean - Bubble Magus

Promo pics with skimmate:
    http://www.bubble-magus.com/UploadFiles/20094291556339.jpg
    http://www.bubble-magus.com/UploadFiles/2009429165321.jpg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. TritonsGarden

TritonsGarden 3reef Sponsor

Looking good. I think the extra piece is a stand to raise the skimmer if your sump is too deep. A couple of things I dislike is having to detach the muffler everytime I clean the cup and the cup drain tube is too small which gets clogged with the thick skimmate.

Jack

1 person likes this.
  4. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Hey thanks for the info Jack. I noticed that with the muffler too. I thought that mystery piece might be to raise skimmer as well but when I looked under the bottom plate I did not see an indent for that ring so I was not sure.

Kudos to you Jack. (For info and turning me on to the NAC6! ;) )

5. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

PS - Have you had any problems with the mesh wheel Jack?

6. TritonsGarden

No problems so far... other than my own carelessness. I tried to take out the impeller on one skimmer and ended up breaking the ceramic shaft so I put the spare needlewheel impeller in that skimmer.

Jack

7. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Yikes.. glad you had an extra. That highlights a concern that was brought up in another Bubble Magus thread (ardo_ski's I think) that it is hard to get spare parts for these skimmers. Perhaps down the road, more distributors well carry these and have parts as well.

8. Click Here!

9. horkn

horkn Giant Squid

Looks like a nice product, especially for the $$. Now I am wondering when its bigger brother for a 250g tank will be released.

The Chinese ebay store that I got my MH pendants from sells these as well.

10. ZachB

ZachB Giant Squid

Seems like a really good skimmer, especially for the $$. Surprised they haven't done a cone yet. Congrats on the new toy :)

11. TritonsGarden

Just thought I would post a pic of 3 day old skimmate.

[​IMG]

Jack

12. 4phish

4phish Montipora Digitata

Nice write up and review. I have been running the BM100 on my 55g for about 4 months now and couldn't be happier.

1 person likes this.