Bubble Magus nac6 depth

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers' started by zesty, Mar 1, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

Looking for some opinions and reasons for different skimmer depths. I just setup this skimmer in an 11" deep section of my sump. I've adjusted the tube so the bubbles add close to the neck. Would it be beneficial to raise it up in the sump or leave it where it is?
    [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

bueller... bueller... bump?

I'm currently letting this sit in 11" of water right now. The bubbles in the cylinder only go down about halfway. Which seems normal for the pump is inside the cylinder and then pushes up to the diffuser plate and then spreads out. There is a lot of turbulence in the cylinder and then it slows down at the neck (which is normal?) with a straight cylinder design?

My next step would be to raise the skimmer 2" in the sump and then it's sitting 9" of water. But I don't know what that would do to the performance? I read a long thread on here that basically had me in circles with different opinions. So maybe I'm looking for a fresher discussion.

If I'm just asking a stupid question, feel free to just slap me upside the head and tell me to get to work...

4. chris adams

chris adams Purple Tang

don't have 1 myself but from what I am reading out there in forums 8 to 10" is what people seem to have it and more towards the 8" range.

5. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

yeah, I've googled the crap out of this skimmer. There doesn't seem to be too much out there. It reviews well, but other than that, there isn't much to the details.

Thanks!! I will be raising it up and seeing if that makes any difference.

6. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

I raised it up 4". We'll see how it goes.
    uploadfromtaptalk1393992911770.jpg

7. zesty

zesty Sailfin Tang

And I come home to a broken pinwheel. Booo. Not to mention on top of a nasty cold. Not a good day.

8. Click Here!

9. mwtan79

mwtan79 Plankton

I've just bought a c99. There was a piece of paper saying water level 9-11"