Bubble Coral

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Neilg, Oct 16, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Neilg

Neilg Plankton

Ok- so I was trying to save a bubble coral that was hanging on for dear life. Then one day I got home from work and the bubble was gone? The skeleton is still in my tank and 1/2 of it is still a white color (as if it were still alive)-the other half is dark like it's turning into rubble. Is it possible that the bubble can regrow if the conditions are right? Or should I throw this in my refugium for the copopods to live in?

Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

Bubble corals are a strange bird...I have one that for most of 4 months grew and grew..now it is not doing so well....all conditions are ok...just looks a little down. As far as I know they are not a problem if they die in the tank...but have you been target feeding him? I have began this on a daily basis to be sure he is getting proper nutrition, and I believe I am seeing an improvement.
    But not all things/problems are the same...they are susceptible to different diseases. I have heard of dip in fresh water and in chemical, iodine I believe...used with much caution I'm sure.
    Show us some pictures and you may have a more direct answer from someone in the bubble know how. : )
    Good luck.
    LG

4. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

I'm with you LG. I had a beautiful bubble that was the size of a small basketball and since I've had it in QT for a few months while my display was being redone it never has really recovered. It doesn't inflate like it used to, color is off...

I guess to answer your question, I would leave it in the display if you like the way the skeleton looks. I've seen these things come back from nothing so I guess it's possible...

5. Neilg

Neilg Plankton

So there's a chance that something will grow out of the skeleton? Because that's all that's left-no bubble-is the skeleton still alive?

6. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Don't know if I'd go that far but I've seen these things come back after having a little spot of bubble barely big enough to see. You might give it a couple days before tossing it in the fuge. If you do put it in the fuge just check it in a week or two to make sure it's not growing back. ;D

7. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

you can try an iodine dip, they tolerate that fairly well, try about 50 drops of lugols solution in a gallon of water, dip for 10-12 min. and take it out. I saw improvement in mine after I did this. But if it is just the skeloton, there may be nothing left to save