bubble anemone VANISHED!!

Discussion in 'Coral' started by FINGAZZ, Dec 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. FINGAZZ

FINGAZZ Astrea Snail

Hi guys im new here so if im posting in a wrong spot give me time to learn the ropes here.thanks

so i just bought a bubble anemone yesterday and today its gone. i looked all over my tank and cant find him at all.he not realy big only about 2-3 inches or so round.i doubt any of my fish ate him so where do you guys think he can be.he was on a rock for the longest time at my lfs and now hes gone. any ideas??????/

2. Click Here!

3. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

it is most likely on the move to find a spot to settle down. until it finds that place, you might see it a day or two, and then it will "disappear" behind a rock. Just try to make sure it doesnt get caught up in any of your pumps. good luck

4. FINGAZZ

FINGAZZ Astrea Snail

OK I FOUND IT.it went under the rock it was on yesterday.i was going to take te rock out and move it to another tank but upon lifting it he was on the bottom.now why would it hid under it.sorry if i sound stupid but never had a saltwater tank and im learning as i go.

5. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

There can be lots of variables as to why an anemone starts to move around. Lighting and flow have a lot to do with it. But I cant really answer why they do what they do. Just try to keep an eye on it, and watch for signs of deflation and shrinking. Anemone require feeding as well, so do some research and reading on them. And a lot of folks will say they only need to be in an well established mature tank that is at least a year old.

6. FINGAZZ

FINGAZZ Astrea Snail

yeah i read that on a few places.my tank is about 2 months old but everything is thriving good water is perfect as im vey anal about my fish and tanks.i normaly only had fresh water but wanted to try salt so far so good.well hope it does good with all that i have.i fed it i belive so well see.thanks

7. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef.

Anemones tend to move around a lot during initial acclimation and in newer set up tank IME.

Unless it wanders into power heads or the heater I would just watch it.

Good Luck.

8. Click Here!

9. FINGAZZ

FINGAZZ Astrea Snail

How do i get it to stay put.i have other corals in there and dont want it destroying them.crazy glue?lol

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You can not get one to stay put.

Limiting their mobility will lead to it's demise.

If the tank is stable you may reduce the chance of wandering. Mine have always eventually found a spot and stayed except to split.

Is it a risk that you assume when you mix anemones and reefs unfortunately.

11. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

My BTA was in a spot I didn't like so I changed the water flow and it moved... I have a Mini Maxi & BTA in my BioCube and haven't seen a war yet... Once I install my LED lighting I'm sure there will be plenty of movement.

12. BioFreak

BioFreak Feather Duster

Yeah they like to hide under the rocks and then extend out and above it during the day. If it disappears again within the next couple of days though, don't worry to much as they have a tendency to move and hide a lot while trying to settle. They have been know to disappear for a week at a time before popping back out.