Bubble Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Hello Katie, Jul 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Hello Katie

Hello Katie Fire Worm

I know this has been asked a bunch of times and I really did do a search but I didn't find anything useful or specific enough for me.

I found 2 small bubbles today, definitely bubble algae. I figured I could just suck them up when siphoning for a water change. No such luck, they didn't budge.

What are some good methods of getting rid of bubble algae? I've read that emerald crabs eat them but I don't really want one.

Is it possible to ignore them and wait for it go away on it's own? Probably wishful thinking.

2. Click Here!

3. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

Use a turkey baster and suck em up just try not to pop the bubble.....emerald will do it so get one for that and then take it back....or send him to me...Good Luck Katie
    Danny

4. Hello Katie

Hello Katie Fire Worm

I think I found another one so I'm assuming there's others too and some on the back on my rocks that I wouldn't be able to get to. Phosphates are 0.5 and Nitrates 2.5 so maybe thats the issue? We've been doing weekly water changes, guess I need to cut back on the fish food.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Look, it's growing babies!
    [​IMG]

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

cutting back on feeding would be the best way t go. try to fix the problem instead of masking it. do you have a refugium? if you do look at adding some mangroves they suck up nitrates and phosfates like crazy.

6. Hello Katie

Hello Katie Fire Worm

No refugium, just a stock Biocube. Will definitely cut back on feedings though, thanks.

7. Hello Katie

Hello Katie Fire Worm

My fiance gently wiggled and twisted until they came off, both weren't popped. Should I cut back on light time along with feedings? Or just feeding? And what about extra water changes? Thanks for the help guys

8. Click Here!

9. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

Id do the lights and after 3 or 4 days do a water change and see where your at....you can blanket your tank also to complete darkness that will help greatly...

10. drew3

drew3 Blue Ringed Angel

ive had emerald crabs and they didnt do much or atleast what i could see also you can poke a needle into them and suck out whats in them because then it wont release the spores when you pop it good luck