Bubble Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Pipe_Organ, Mar 1, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pipe_Organ

Pipe_Organ Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

After two years of maintaining an almost problem free tank I started getting outcrops of Bubble Algae. The cause most likely was water quality or the lack of it. Thanks to the help from members of this Forum in figuring this out. Unfortunately the algae doesn't just go away. So on a regular basis I have to "harvest" it so it doesn't overrun the corals. I use a dental hygiene tool I got from my dentist. I attach it to a 3/8 ID tube which is part of a siphon. As I pick the bubble algae off the rock it gets sucked into a bucket. The maintenance was about 2 hrs. /day. along with routine water changes. A month later I'm down to 3 times a week. I hope your tank never gets this problem, however if it does, the dental hygiene tool really works great. Dentists throw them out after awhile because they become dull. My dentist gave me the one I have. They're stainless steel so you don't have to worry about rust or corrosion.

2. Click Here!

3. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Great tip! karma! Ive seen a few bubles here and there in my tank also

4. Pipe_Organ

Thanks for the Karma....and according to Julian Sprung if you break the bubbles the spores are caught by the protien skimmer :)

5. fishgills

fishgills Plankton

Hi to all, these guys are great for bubble algae here's a little info on them,-------Emerald crabs are small, usually one half inch to 2 inches for the carapace width. Emerald crabs are usually deeper green when they are younger and eating more greens. The green fades to grey as they age and begin to scavange more. Emerald crabs have "shovel-like" claws as opposed to the sharp pointy claws of more predatory crabs. and if you look were the claw bends you'll see a red spot, thats a true Emerald crab. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

6. Pipe_Organ

Hi Fishgills,

I tried Emerald crabs, a Redsea Sailfin Tang, and a Sea Urchin. Nothing seems to eat it. They all poked at it but it's been me an my dental tool that's been getting the job done. I live for the day when maintainance goes down to once a week. It's been a hard lesson not to let my water quality go down.

7. tdevil

tdevil Feather Duster

glad to see you are starting to win the battle, Pipe-Organ, and that is a good tip ont eh dental tool ;)
    with emerald crabs, they will usually eat it, but it can be hit and miss, i dont like recomending a critter to clean the algae, etc.. most of the time certin critters need this stuff to survive and when it is gone so are the critters, not the same w/ emeralds
    the point is, most dont think about the long term (which is easy to do)
    FYI, emeralds have been known to kill zoanthids and other mat type corals, not meaning to harm the corals, they are just trying to get at the rock below the coral

td

8. Click Here!

9. DirkDiggler

DirkDiggler Plankton

10. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I nuke mine with muriatic acid. It's real fun!

11. Pipe_Organ

Doesn't the muriatic acid make your protien skimmer go nuclear. I used Mur. acid to kill aiptasia and I had to shut the Protein skimmer down. Thanks to everyone for the tips and links. Matt.. I like how you think :)

12. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

I just use a 50/50 mixture of muriatic acid and hot water and a small syringe and needle, no problems here.