bubble algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by earthlingonfire, Mar 23, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. earthlingonfire

earthlingonfire Plankton

Hi all,

I recently saw a handful of bubble algae in various places of my 12gal. tank that is used to house some coral and new fish. Its a mix between a quarantine/holding/frag tank.

So my question is would it be okay to move a coral, which, to the best of my knowledge, has no bubble algae, to a brand new 30gal. tank (cycled of course)? And not have it spread in the new tank?

Also, I read a post somewhere that once you get (green) bubble algae its there for good. Is that true?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Ruminus

Ruminus Astrea Snail

I can't say for sure that it's totally gone, but I had a major outbreak of hair and bubble algae a while back and added a Cowrie snail. Within a week, the tank was spotless to my eyes. Just something that worked for me I thought I might suggest. Good luck.:)

4. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

For green bubble algae I like Emerald crabs, make sure they are indeed Emeralds.
    Only use RO/DI water and attempt to remove as many as you can manually without breaking the bubble.

5. earthlingonfire

earthlingonfire Plankton

Thanks! yea I only use RODI. I might try the cowrie snail and emerald after I remove a bunch.

6. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

I would move the coral if there is no bubble algae on it. I don't see a problem with doing that. I had a huge outbreak a few months ago, but my wife bought me a yellow tang not knowing my tank was to small for it to live. The tang took care of my bubble algae problem and it hasn't came back since. And yes, that tang did get to stressed out in my 40 breeder and ended up dying. So, in the end I no longer have an issue with green bubble algae though.

7. Ruminus

Ruminus Astrea Snail

Sorry for the thread necromancy, but I just wanted to comment regarding the Cowrie(s). They were great for a while, and kept the tank spotless, but one day I noticed my Xenia colony was looking a bit thinner. Then the next day, thinner still. So, I started watching and sure enough, the Cowries were munching away on the Xenia. Much to my chagrin, an online search yielded information that as Cowries get older, they will sometimes start eating soft corals, so two of my favorite tank inhabitants had to go back to the LFS (where they were promptly sold to someone who had a Xenia problem). Just a warning as I was unaware of this when I initially made my recommendation. :confused: