BTA won't stop bleaching, can't figure out WHY!

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by yheartsp, Nov 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. yheartsp

yheartsp Purple Spiny Lobster

BEFORE

[​IMG]
    picture taken 23/9/2009

AFTER

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    pictures taken 29/11/2009
    ( pictures shown are not when the anemone is at it's biggest, it is just getting ready to poop, however the point is the color of the anemone :p)

Details

This anemone has moved to a position with minimal light and flow, and has stayed there ever since i got it ( 2 months plus ). The anemone hosts a pair of maroon clownfish, ( female 3.5 inches and male 2 inches ) . It is housed in a 187 gallon tank with no corals near it.

Lighting : 2x250( 20k )w metal halide

Flow : around 24x turnover with vortech mp40w

water parameters

Salinity 1.025
    calcium 460ppm
    Alkalinity 9dkh
    pH 8.2
    Magnesium 1350ppm
    Nitrates 0.1ppm
    Nitrites 0
    Ammonia 0

I do not test for phosphates but the last time i tested it was close to zero.

The anemone is fed piecies of shrimp / squid every 1 or 2 days . I'm clueless as to why it's bleaching :(

HELP me :(

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. Robman

Robman Great White Shark

I would try to move it to a spot with more lighting. May also be maturing. I have seen rose tips that are healthy, that look like that. Hopefully more nem pros will chime in.

1 person likes this.
  4. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

This is why I don't like keeping anemones. They can move wherever they want and you really can't do much to stop them. If it has attached to a rock, I would try moving the rock more into the light. If you can't do that, see if you can move just the anemone. Besides that I don't know of anything you can really do. It's an animal and it will do whatever it wants to do.

1 person likes this.
  5. yheartsp

Thanks for the quick reply ! But i thought anemones move by themselves to find a location they like best? :confused:

6. yheartsp

It's impossible to move the rock, it's a base rock, it would be very hard to scrape it off too, so i'm guessing the animal is trying to commit suicide by hiding :eek: i mean, if it really wants more light and more flow, it COULD move itself right?

7. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

your right Yheartsp

here is my novice opinion on the situation

your feeding the nem every other day, it does not need to rely on the by product of the symbiotic algae for its food source, the algae deprived of light has vacated, which is why the nem has changed colour/ bleached

if you cut down feeding to once ever other week, the nem will go walk about again and probably look for either the thing that kept putting food in it ( which maybe it must not find as regular) or light so more symbiotic algae is produced

the above is an educated guess, I have no nem experience what so ever.

Steve

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  8. Click Here!

9. yheartsp

Hmm this is the first time i've heard of this, it would be wonderful if it's true ;D
    But the plan's a little risky if the nem has no symbiotic algae + no food to sustain it , anyone tried this before? :)
    BTW, is this nem fully bleached or does it still have some of the algae at it's tips? based on my understanding it's easier for it to recover as the algae can reproduce by itself if present.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 28, 2009
  10. yheartsp

Anyway, something interesting. My LFS have not fed this anemone for years and it looks like this ! Just getting the food source by light..

[​IMG]

11. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I agree. Very risky. I would keep feeding it.
    Yes, the zooxanthellae can reproduce.

Every system is different. The way the flow is, the lighting, etc. That's the reason blanket statements are risky with this hobby. However, as a general rule, most people should at least monitor their anemone's to see if supplemental feeding is necessary.

1 person likes this.
  12. yheartsp

Do you have any ideas why the anemone is bleaching ? it's been 2 months already. :( i'm afraid it'll keep bleaching until there is no zooxanthellae left ! I might try feeding once a week and see if it reaches out for more light ..