BTA help

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by billyboy2, Nov 11, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. billyboy2

billyboy2 Coral Banded Shrimp

I just aquired a BTA that had split from a friends aneome. i have had it for 1 week now and noticing some strange behavior. the anemone seems to run from the light....i am now questioning if my lighting is sufficient. I am using a coralife CFL system with a 10000k bulb and 1 actinic blub. my friend is using metal halide. I thought i took everything into consideration, i have 2 bulbs 75w each providing my aquarium with aproximatly with 5.5watts/Gal. Is there something else i haven't thought of ? My water parameters are excellent and from my observations it has slow gotten smaller and tenticles thiner an more ragged. Is there something i need to do to improve its state? it use to be so perfect looking with nice fat tenticles that were bubbled. I know it wasn't damaged when it was removed and i drip acclimated it for about an hour. it has anchored it's self to live rock but roams non stop shrivled, and on occasion it will inflate partially. it eats frozen shrimp and its mouth is tight. what do you think?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2009
  2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

I would take it back to your friend. PC lighting is always just on the brink of being able to support an anemone, but it will never be easy.

4. anpgp

anpgp Dragon Wrasse

Yeah, I agree. Take it back. It's used to being under MH lighting which is a lot more powerful than your lights and it's probably not getting enough light. Roaming isn't a good sign either. Means it can't find a place it likes and is comfortable. How old is your tank?

5. billyboy2

billyboy2 Coral Banded Shrimp

my tank is just over 1 year now. i would think that if my lights were insufficient it wouldn't hide from it. i had tried moving the rock it was attached to, to a place with more light and it instantly started moving. it does stay put i have noticed but in places with little to no light. i would like to keep it, any clue why it runs from my light?

6. pgreef

pgreef Fire Goby

Don't try to move it. Let it be.

7. PackLeader

PackLeader Giant Squid

Another one here that says get it out. You do not have the lighting for a BTA. Don't matter how many watts per gallon you have when it's PC.
    Also, how old is the tank?

8. Click Here!

9. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

It may seem like it's running from the light, but it may just be panicking and trying to find a safe enclosed area to hide.

If you are going to keep it however try feeding it some. During acclimation anemones always benefit from some small feedings a couple times a week to help them cope with lighting changes and stress. do the tentacles still feel sticky?