Bryopsis Algae Control.

Discussion in 'Algae' started by B1N4RY, Sep 3, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. B1N4RY

B1N4RY Flamingo Tongue

It looks like the reef keeping gods have decided to test me with as many of the most common problems in starting a marine reef aquarium as possible. Now although I purchase Nutri-SeaWater as my already mixed saltwater I don't have an RO/DI unit (I just purchased one and I am waiting for it to be delivered) so my top off water for evaporation has been coming from my Poland Spring Water Dispenser. No I know bad me for not using RO/DI water from the start but it is what it is. So, this has contributed to a big Bryopsis Algae bloom in my aquarium. Although as pretty as it looked swaying back and forth in the aquarium I did notice how rapidly it was spreading on the rock. So I looked for the most natural solution possible, while avoiding solutions such as raising magnesium levels to extremely high levels. I think some of the many mistakes we make in this hobby, and I am by no means excluded from this is that we look to quick remedies to get fast results for issues in the aquarium. I am trying desperately to avoid this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did some research online and found that other hobbyist have had success in naturally removing the Bryopsis Algae using Mexican Turbo Snails and Lettuce Nudibranch. So I headed to Maximum Reef Aquatics in Yonkers, New York and they just happen to have some of the most beautiful looking Lettuce Nudibranchs and some almost gold ball sized Mexican Turbo Snails. So I purchased them and off I went with my solution in hand. After a drip acclimation period of about 1 hour for each species I placed them in my aquarium and they all went to work. It has been three days since I introduced them into my aquarium and 50% of the Bryopsis is gone. At this rate I will have to start supplementing their diet with Algae sheets by the end of the week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. chumslickjon

chumslickjon Purple Spiny Lobster

4. Todd_Sails

Todd_Sails Giant Squid

Nice job!

Cool looking nudi's!

5. B1N4RY

B1N4RY Flamingo Tongue

Reply to Chumslickjon.

Thank you!

6. B1N4RY

B1N4RY Flamingo Tongue

Reply to Todd_Sails.

Thank you!

7. B1N4RY

B1N4RY Flamingo Tongue

Bryopsis Algae Control Update.

So it has been a few weeks since I have had some time to update everyone on my Bryopsis Algae issues that popped in up about 3 weeks ago. But I am happy to report that within a week of adding my team of three Mexican Turbo Snails and two Lettuce Nudibrachs their is no trace of the Bryopsis Algae at all and I have had to start supplementing my cleanup crews diet with dried seaweed sheets almost nightly because their appetite is so voracious. But I would rather than then further algae problems.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bryiopsis algae issue which begin approximately 3 weeks ago in my aquarium.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A Mexican Turbo Snail eating some of the bryopsis algae within my aquarium.

[​IMG]
    A Lettuce Nudibranch eating some of the bryopsis algae within my aquarium.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Bryiopsis algae issue 3 days after introducing the three Mexican Turbo Snail and two Lettuce Nudibranchs into my aquarium.

[​IMG]
    My aquarium with no visible sight of Bryopsis Algae after 1 week of introduction of the three Mexican Turbo Snails and two Lettuce Nudibranchs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    One of the Mexican Turbo Snails within my aquarium enjoying a sheet of dried seaweed as its supplemental diet.

8. Click Here!

9. DevinH

DevinH Montipora Capricornis

Maybe I missed it how big of a tank? I have a problem now