BRS two part

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Seacurchin, Mar 7, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seacurchin

Seacurchin Astrea Snail

OK....not new to reefing but I am new to BRS two part dosing. I used to use bright well and ESV.
    So, I was doing daily testing and got nice numbers. But,I needed to know how much to daily dose so daily testing was not necessary.
    I got my numbers 1450mag,9.0alk,and 460 calc.
    I waited to test an entire week so I could figure the difference in my last tests numbers ,subtract the difference then divide by 7(representing days).
    My Mag did not change. I expected that. My Calc went up roughly 5ppm to 465. I knew that my Alk would be low. It was. It tested at 6.3.
    Last week's numbers were1450mag,460cal,and 9alk. This week's numbers 1450mag,465cal,6.3alk.
    The question is.....how is it only the Alk changed and why didn't calcium change? Hoe do I figure a daily dose(calcium) on a parameter that actually went up(Alk loss)? Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  2. Click Here!

3. dub

dub Plankton

Calcium is much more abundant than Alkalinity so you could lose 50% of the available Alkalinity without seeing too much of a drop in Calcium. This makes it usually more important to keep an eye on the Alkalinity levels because it's more difficult to maintain than Calcium. I would keep testing the Calcium week to week tho to keep measuring if it's going up or down. Sometimes when measuring things like calcium with home test kits, you can be off by 10-20 so there is a chance that it's not actually going up.

Also, just another thought... depending on if you are making your own saltwater or buying it from your LFS, some salt mixtures have calcium added to it so you could be doing a water change and replacing your Calcium without realizing it.

4. greatwhitetang7

greatwhitetang7 Plankton

Alk and calcium relationship is a goofy one .. They actually occupy the same space in water.. Picture a bowl with red and blue marbles this is your calcium and alk .. You want a desired ratio .. If calcium gets too high .. It pushes the alk down and if alk gets too high it can cause calcium precipitation .. I don't think your calcium is high enough to cause your alk to drop like that .. But maybe seeing how they work together might help you solve your riddle .. Shake alk very well .. Might be 1 part is bad ? I've found that when u find a salt and dosing product that keeps things stable stick with it .. If found more water changes with better salts keeps me most in balance vs when I used to dose

5. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

Couldn't agree more.

6. Seacurchin

Seacurchin Astrea Snail

Thanks y'all. I do a WC every 2 weeks or so. I started this tank using B-ionic ESV salt. I had been using it for some time. No issues. Great stuff. I hated paying for it. I switched to H2Ocean. I think I'm switching back to ESV. The H2Ocean is....OK.
    For testing I use Redsea kits. I guess they're accurate. Took some getting used too.
    I forget all the tiny details and variables that allow really informed answers.