BRS Reactor hoses...

Discussion in 'Filters, Pumps, etc..' started by Coastie Reefer, Dec 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

I'm kicking around the idea of getting myself a BRS reactor or two for Christmas. The thing is from the BRS video and pics it looks like hoses are hard plastic and rigid. So here's a couple questions for all you BRS reactor owners.

How rigid are the hoses?

Is it possible to replace them with something more flexible?

Would changing out the hoses adversely affect the operation of the unit in any way?

I don't have a sump so this would be fed directly into my tank. I'll probably have plenty of room to mount one in the canopy of my 40B. If I get one for my 29g as well it would have to go on the behind the stand. I really want to mount the reactor so that it's easy to get to but out of sight...

2. Click Here!

3. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

No you cannot replace them, unless you replace them with another more flexible quick connect system, which I do not know if it exists or not. They use the quick connect system. They are semi flexible.

I think the tubes will be flexible enough for your needs, but check on the length.

4. MarcWeaver

MarcWeaver Plankton

The hoses are semi-rigid, they are PEX tubing. You can go to lowes or home depot and check in the plumbing section and they should have 1/2" PEX tubing. You can get a feel with what you are working with by grabbing a piece there and bending it around.

If I were you, I would not trust the push connect fittings with vinyl tubing without it being over a sump. I tried to replace the rigid tube with flexible and the diameter was slightly different and I experienced dripping, but it was over the sump and I did not care. You can buy 90 degree press-fit fittings to use with the tubing that comes with the unit.

Also, you can use a short piece of the tubing that comes with it and adapt it to a barbed fitting somehow and clamp vinyl hose onto that.

I don't think that adapting to vinyl hose will affect the unit in any way. When I had one for GFO and one for carbon on my old tank, and I used maxi jet 1200's with both and never had to open the valve on the pump all the way.

As far as mounting it behind the tank on your 29 is concerned, you will need room for the plastic wrench to unscrew the canister for media changing. It can get quite tight after being on for awhile and is difficult to unscrew. So make sure you have room or you can remove the whole thing easily.

5. Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer Millepora

Thanks for the quick replies.

I'll head to Home Depot or Lowes and check the tubing out this weekend!

6. MarcWeaver

MarcWeaver Plankton

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  7. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

As far as leaking goes, I disagree. If you connect them right they should not leak at all. All of their RO/DI units are made of the same stuff smaller size. And thousands of people have them and I have never heard about any leaking, and they are run at a higher pressure.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  8. Click Here!

9. coylee_17

coylee_17 Fire Goby

I find the hoses to be a little stiffer than I would have liked and It's a pain but not enough that I have actually moved past complaining and done something about it lol.

10. chappy85

chappy85 Coral Banded Shrimp

I have a short length of their tube on one of mine with a piece of slightly larger regular flexible hose slipped over that with no issues. No hose clamp but it doesnt seem to leak that I've noticed. Might be able to post a pic later if you would like.

11. MarcWeaver

MarcWeaver Plankton

I meant I had leaking with flexible clear waterline tubing, not with the BRS supplied tubing. With their tubing, it never leaked even a drop.