BRS Pukani Dry Eco Aquarium Live Rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by crustytheclown, Nov 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

I really like this dry rock from Bulkreefsupply. Has anyone tried it or seen it first hand? I was thinking of going with the Reefcleaners florida reef rock but rock in the 50lbs package picture looks alot different from the florida reef rock by the pound picture? It is a great deal $85 free shipping. But i have heard that florida reef rock can leach phosphates? I really like the look of the Pukani from BRS but its $3.39lbs so that would be like $170 versus $85 reefcleaners????:confused:
    I dont mind the extra money but is the Pukani far superior to the Florida Reef?

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Contact John at Reef Cleaners about the phosphate leaching. I have not heard of it.

I have not seen the BRS rock in person so I don't know what to tell you. I like what I see in their pics.

4. crustytheclown

crustytheclown Eyelash Blennie

alright i just sent John a message at reefcleaners.org :)

5. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

where have you heard that florida reef rock can leach phosphates? I highly doubt this is true... I went with that package from reefcleaners, and I have not had any problems with it... all my reefcleaners rocks are covered in coralline where there aren't corals growing on them... ;)

6. blumoon reefers

blumoon reefers Millepora

+1. I ordered some base rock from John and absolutely love it. Will buy again from him when I need it.

7. xmetalfan99

xmetalfan99 Giant Squid

From what I understand and have read, the Pukani is more porous than the Florida rock. Making the Pukani better for your tank filtration wise. mainly go by what you think looks nicer.

8. Click Here!

9. FaceOfDeceit

FaceOfDeceit Hockey Beard

I have all Pukani rock in my tanks. It is EXTREMELY porous. So much so that it weighs virtually nothing! I have an 84 gallon tank with only 35 Lbs of Pukani in it, see first below pic. I have not tried ReefCleaners rock, although, everyone seems to like it. I got the Pukani when it was on sale with bonus points per pound...so it worked out great. You can do a combo of both too...just get less Pukani than the ReefCleaners.

Attached Files:

10. SkyFire

SkyFire Clown Trigger

I love my pukani rock...works out great since it's in my nano...needed far less to have good filtration and my fish still have lots of swimming room.

As a side note my blenny loves the latticework structure of the rock and plays in it...is kinda funny you never know which hole he'll pop out of next....anyone for whack a blenny....just kidding.

11. gabbagabbawill

gabbagabbawill Pajama Cardinal

This is nice to know. I may get some pukani to top off my reef... would only need to get 30 or so pounds from the sound of it...