brs dry base rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by cjsdubia, Dec 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cjsdubia

cjsdubia Astrea Snail

so im starting a 120g build

its the first time ill just be directly adding dry rock to a tank so im curious

im using dr.tim's bacteria or if you have a better brand please feel free to reccomend it

my question here is if i add the bacteria to the rock i know ill help cycle the tank but will the super high ammonia just kill off all the bottled bacteria?

2. Click Here!

3. Reef2Keep

Reef2Keep Purple Spiny Lobster

What type of dry rock did you buy? Reef saver rock is supposedly totally clean and won't have any organic growth on it to spike a tank cycle.

4. gcarroll

gcarroll Zoanthid

I'm a big fan of MarcoRocks Aquarium Products for dry rock. Great shapes and a huge selection and he can even custom shape it for you, cut flat sides so it doesn't tip over, ect...

5. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

Visit reefcleaners.org. Best base rock and prices. Great customer service also

6. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

Once your tank is established they have great cuc prices too.

7. Nuebie

Nuebie Peppermint Shrimp

To answer your question I think if the rock your using is cleaned dry rock you shouldn't see an ammonia spike at all. Got excited and posted about something you didn't even ask about. Sorry LOL

8. Click Here!

9. cjsdubia

cjsdubia Astrea Snail

i actually have not gotten the rock yet im just in planning phases
    but i love my inverts so that works for me ! thanks

10. grinder37

grinder37 Whip-Lash Squid

I've used Marco rocks,BRS reef saver rock and reefcleaners dry rock,all of these are mined rock and are clean and free of organics (all 3 are awesome rock as well,nice shapes,lots of holes and very porus).You can safely add any of these to an established tank with no spikes.But I would rinse the dust off in used saltwater or ro/di as i've gotten spiders,rolie polies and even a live salamander once from prerinsing before it went in the tank,lol.

Edit-also,I have never used Dr.Tim's,however I will on future builds,I have heard nothing but excellent reviews on his products.

11. cjsdubia

cjsdubia Astrea Snail

whats weird is last time i talked to brs about the rock they said it did need to be cured before hand and i actually did have to i had considerable ammonia spikes in my live rock tub after adding it in there weirdly enough

12. i3oosted

i3oosted Flamingo Tongue

This^^

I used reef rocks(.net) and just rinsed the rock out and used it. I believe all these places use the same quarried rock anyways. Mine hasn't leached.

I also used Dr Tims One and Only in my display and QT tanks and it works great.

I would wait at least a day or 2 before you add the fish but it says you can add them right away, so it's up to you.

You might experience a slight bump in ammonia BUT it goes away as fast as it comes and all is normal.