BRS Alk

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Seacurchin, Mar 24, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Seacurchin

Seacurchin Astrea Snail

I'm not sure I am into the BRS Alk recipe. Every single time,no,matter what I do or how I do it(slow,slower,even slower) I end up with a snow globe in my tank. I'm used to my Bright well products that clear quickly. I've been using BRS for a month now. Isn't the snow globe debris bad for corals? Vert de ferk?

2. Click Here!

3. Jim Bonds

Jim Bonds Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

How much are you dosing at a time? I use brightwell but I've used the powders from Seachem before. I didn't have an issue as long as I really really mixed up powder until it was fully dissolved.

4. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

It means it's precipitating out of solution. You need to almost drip it in a high flow area like right in front of your return or power head. I always used to use a syringe so I could go very slowly.

Jim Bonds and DSC reef like this.
  5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

I've been having the same issue.

6. Jim Bonds

Vinny is right, you need to drip it slowly into a high flow area. I used to use a drip acclimator to do it. You also want to make sure you leave enough time in between your alk and Ca dosings. Also, if your Mg is too low then no matter what it'll tend to precipitate out.

How much are you dosing at once? How are you dosing (drip, syringe, cup)? Are you dosing Ca and if so same questions? Where in the tank are you dosing? What are your alkalinity, calcium, and magnesium parameters? What is your salinity, pH, and temp?

7. Seacurchin

Seacurchin Astrea Snail

I have been at Reefing for a very long time. I hate asking questions like this because, nothing makes ya look like a noob like a "how do I dose" question.
    The BRS system in particular is snowy from previous. No,matter how slow I dose or what method I use. It has been a frustrating process to me. I solved it.
    I am going back to ESV and Kent products. My params have been around 7 for Dkh. That is pretty low for me by about 3Dkh. I Have always kept it around 10. My calcium is usually always around 430-440typically. Since I switched to BRS.....my Alk is really low and obviously, my calcium is high like 490.
    I wanted to know if anyone else was experiencing this too. After hunting around,it appears this is not a new issue at all. Definitely a big thanks to responders and 3reef being such a great place.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Yep, MD too. I've been using calc rea tor and dosers for awhile, definately know the science behind it and have experience doing it.

But you're right, I'm having that same issue with the soda ash.

Seacurchin likes this.
  10. Seacurchin

Seacurchin Astrea Snail

I don't get it.lol. no matter now.

11. Jim Bonds

Yeah, that's a good call. If the BRS isn't working for you then going back to what works is always a good call. I'll have to keep this in mind as I was planning on switching to BRS two part for my new tank build. Maybe I'll just stick with what I know.

Seacurchin likes this.