Brown tips on Green Birdsnest ?????

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Otty, Aug 12, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

I just came back from vacation and everything in the tank is doing well except my green birdsnest has brown tips on a few of it's ends, not all of them. I noticed a damsel nipping at it a couple of times and was wondering if anyone else has seen this? I was wondering if my caretaker was feeding too lightly and the fish were starting to nip at coral. Done all my water test and everything is in acceptable ranges. Dosed Strontium but eveything else was good. Any clues...:-/

2. Click Here!

3. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I don't know but it sounds like your Birdsnest is dying at the tip and being covered by algae. Algae tends to grow and spread rapidly, unfortunately. I have Damsels in my tank and they have never, atleast from what I have witnessed, gone after my corals except for the occassional time of trying my Xenia.

4. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

Wow otty you can see your tank stats really well now! Sorry to get off topic;D

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

hey Buddy glad to see you made it back in good shape Enjoyed having you pop in last Saturday really enjoyed the B/S time :) Dinner was fun aswell thanks.. I owe you now LOL

Oh that Birds nest is there any water currents hitting the dead tips overly Strong ??? Thats where I'd look the flow will cause that to RTN on you or anyway they could have been exposed to air and heat ??
    I think I pointed that blue.green Stag Horn in the top left of my tank that had the dead tips from exposer and the blast of water that I did not notice after I hit the return pipe and not realized I had .. The fish had nothing to do with it. It was just pecking some snagged food or algae from the tip when you saw it..

6. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

Well when ever you get over this way make sure you pop in. It was pretty up in Nova Scotia but my calling is the Rocky's and Sturgis. Next year it will be back to riding out west and stopping in on the Black Hills Rally. Only ended up riding about 3,600 miles since Pops was with us. Enjoyed spending time with him as he won't be able to do that many more years. Usually when it's just me and my brother we end up with around 6,000 miles before we get home.
    Never know I may have a free weekend again to putt up that way....you never really know where the wind will take you...8)