Brown Patches on Clownfish

Discussion in 'Diseases' started by kcbrad, Jun 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

My Picasso clown has these light brown, slightly raised patches all over her white areas. What could this be?

Her and her boytoy hang out around the heater - could they be burns? Or does it sound like a common disease?

I tried looking on the internet and I couldn't find anything like this.

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

4. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Unfortunately I can't get any pictures because they hang out in the back corner of the tank, behind the overflow and near the heater.

I was so happy my beautiful Picassos decided to live behind the overflow.....:angry:

1 person likes this.
  5. starfish2217

starfish2217 Horrid Stonefish

At least yours found a place to live! mine are just everywhere... silly clowns tho :/ maybe he will decide it gets to warm back there ;) as for the brown stuff... I have no idea sorry... :confused: sounds odd to me.

6. SAY

SAY Ocellaris Clown

are there no marks on the "boytoy" (that one made me laugh)? i don't believe that i have heard of a fish being burned by a heater.

1 person likes this.
  7. Tropical Addict

Tropical Addict Bubble Tip Anemone

Lol That's a bummer! I hate when your pretty expensive fish decide to swim where you can't enjoy them!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

No, no marks at all on the male. The female eats well and is nice and thick...just these weird marks.

I know, right. You can't even see them in there - even when you search for them! And the female is absolutely gorgeous....grrrr...

10. haloist

haloist Skunk Shrimp

From what I'm seeing on the internet, that may be marks of "bruises" from getting stung by your corals. They might have gotten stung while rubbing up against a coral of yours (like a frogspawn or something). I think they'll be fine as long as they're eating and not stressing out!

1 person likes this.
  11. Pickle010

Pickle010 Spaghetti Worm

It's pretty common - that clowns will rub against something in the tank that will irritate them - corals - rocks - anything really.

If it is eating and swimming normally I wouldn't worry so much. I'd watch to see if it's getting any worse or if the fish displays any symptoms of being ill.

1 person likes this.
  12. kcbrad

kcbrad Giant Squid

Thanks guys. I thought maybe it was from rubbing up on something...but I couldn't figure out what. They don't venture away from their spot, which is not near live rock, coral, etc.

Who knows! I'll keep my eye on her and if she starts to look sick I'll post again!