Brown Jelly

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by bob_8228, Jan 4, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bob_8228

bob_8228 Astrea Snail

One of the branches of my torch coral has some brown jelly on it. Looks like that branch is a goner. What should i do?
    - Remove the jelly (inside or outside the tank)?
    - Remove the whole coral from the tank?
    - Que sera sera?

But i'm more worried about the cause of it though. Anyone knows?

2. Click Here!

3. OoNickoC

OoNickoC Bubble Tip Anemone

Frag the branch off with some pincers or a good pair of pliers.

4. bob_8228

bob_8228 Astrea Snail

Succesfully (?) fragged the affected branch. Now waiting to see what happens. Hopefully, other branches won't be affected. And more important, the coral won't die because of the fragging. That's my firt time fragging a torch coral.

5. Birdlady

Birdlady Finback Whale

According to my book...."The Reef Aquarium" Volume One, by Delbeek and Sprung....

Paraphrasing..

The theory is bacteria or physical injury creates initial insult...then protozoans, worms, etc. do their dirty work.

Rec. Treatment is freshwater bath of same temp (for stony corals) , followed by fragging off the affected area, then following in a holding tank to allow the coral time to heal. Thinking is osmotic shock kills the protozoans and encroaching organisms then the coral can heal.

They do say it is more common in Euphyllia (torches fall into that grouping right?)

Let us know how it all goes! It does not seem that you need worry about it spreading to other corals.... ;) :D

6. JohnO

JohnO Moderator

I think fragging and throwing away the infected area followed by a freshwater dip for the remaining parts would be a good idea.

John

7. bob_8228

bob_8228 Astrea Snail

Thanks birdlady & john, at least my worries are eased a little bit. Though i did not do the freswater dip or even putting it in a holding tank. straight in the tank it went. i'll be monitoring it closely and updating of any event.

thanks again.

8. Click Here!

9. bob_8228

bob_8228 Astrea Snail

went back from the office yesterday and found out the remaining 3 braches was also affected. sadly, the only option was to throw it all away into the dustbin. and surprisingly, water conditions were good and stable as ebfore in terms of parameters (ca, alk, no2, no3, salinity). and that reminds me to update my signature.

10. Jay

Jay Teardrop Maxima Clam

I have 3 torches. I have seen all of them expel brown stringy stuff sometimes. Usually when I feed to heavy.
    When I see this I cut back on the feedings, do a small water change mabey, make sure my skimmer is working good. I have them in a 30 gallon and enjoy them all. They seem to like light current that gently moves their tenticles back and forth. Never too strong to make the tenticles all bend the same way all the time. Placement is crucial. I also think they love the kalk drip that I do at night. It makes them all expand huge all day. I feed the corals 3 times a week in the morning as the lights come on. I feed Cyclopsees and Phyto. I also use Coral excel half cap once a week and coral vite half cap about every 9 days. They also get food about twice a week as I blow off the reef with my baster to make a storm of my tank. I have cut back on the Iodide because the other supplements have that in them. I can tell when they need a little (very little) like 3 or 4 drops of Iodide not iodine. My Favorite torch has split twice and is getting ready to split 1 head int three. Thats gonna be cool.
    I can see about an inch of fresh white stock that has been growing. Ip very proud of her. Im no expert. Im a very novice to the hobby but read alot. I just want to share my experiances with you all so it may help with yours. Dont give up on the Torches....get another.

[glow=blue,2,300]Cheers[/glow]
    Jay