Brown jelly disease!! Help!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Flazky, Mar 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

At PR, ALL of my employees knew how to handle LPS in general and also the specifics with Euphylliads because I beat it into their heads. However, I've been in LFS's across the nation and I've noted that most LFS employees don't know how to handle Euphyllia. They are a lot like us. We have skin that is absolutely crawling with all types of bacteria....even really bad bacteria. For the most part, they really don't affect us....until we get a teeny tiny cut. If you get a cut and don't wash and disinfect quickly, you could possibly get an infection. Euphyllia are the same way.

When buying one in a LFS, have the worker GENTLY irritate the polyps so that they pull into the skeleton. Then, the coral and skeleton must remain upright while moving it to the bag. Euphyllia polyps have a lot of water in them. If the employee just picks it up willy-nilly into the air, the water that is now suspended EDIT: inside the polyps in the air is no longer supported by the surrouding water and that weight causes the "flesh" to separate from the skeleton. Like I said, they are just like us....now they have a cut and they have good bacteria and bad bacteria too. Then, in no time at all, you have Brown Jelly Disease. Maybe the LFS did it halfway right.....meaning they bagged it properly but failed to inform the customer on how to properly remove it from the bag or never said, "Don't go blasting these polyps with tons of flow....that can cause them to separate from the skeleton".

There are MANY things that can cause BJD. However, I've found handling to be one of the worst contributors.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Oh well. It would have been nicer if it had been siphoned out. However, look at my previous post. These nasties are in our tanks 24/7.

4. divott

divott Giant Squid

which lfs did you get this spawn at?

5. Flazky

Flazky Bristle Worm

I got this one at Indoor Jungle. right beside Scarborough big al

6. divott

divott Giant Squid

i havent heard anything good about that place. lol. i know someone who went in there, and walked right out because of the stores overall look.

7. Flazky

Flazky Bristle Worm

haha you know, I swear...I became a reefer because I was fascinated at how beautiful these creatures are.....but now I find that I am fascinated about how there is just SOOO much to learn....but somtimes my gf is just so...>.O....cause everytime I bring her to the lfs, she is like....(OOOO I wanna get that...I wanna get this..) haha...sigh....=p

8. Click Here!

9. Toronto_Guy

Toronto_Guy Fire Shrimp

Indoor Jungle just had all of their livestock poisoned.

CP24- More than 700 fish die suddenly at Scarborough pet store - CTV News, Shows and Sports -- Canadian Television

I'll leave it at that so I don't say anything that could be considered libellous! LOL

I was the guy divott knows that walked in, and then right back out. My wife stayed in the car, and was shocked by how quickly I came back. She's never seen me leave a LFS so quickly. She had settled down with a book and a coffee to wait me out!

Since you're in Richmond Hill anyway, is there a reason that you don't go to Sea U Marine? It's been called the best marine store in the Toronto area by other LFS owners/managers. The owner, Ken, really knows his stuff. If for no other reason, take a trip there and have a look at the livestock. All the fish and corals are healthy. Keep that in mind when you go elsewhere. The prices aren't really that much more than Big Al's and the overall quality is much better.

The Big Al's in Scarborough isn't the greatest for corals either. I have yet to see anything there that interested me. I have picked up a couple of fish from there too.

If you get out to the west end, Reef Raft has great corals as well.

I'm sure divott can recommend some good places as well.

10. Bunner

Bunner Bubble Tip Anemone

NAFB is a good one!

11. Toronto_Guy

Toronto_Guy Fire Shrimp

I've heard good things about North American Fish Breeders, but have yet to visit.

12. divott

divott Giant Squid

NAFB has a very good selection of corals. every variety and good prices. the couple are experienced on what will or wont work. if you get a chance , check it out. kingston rd , just west of midland.