Brown jelly disease!! Help!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Flazky, Mar 5, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Flazky

Flazky Bristle Worm

omfg....I swear to GAWD everything that is bad is happening to me with these damned local LFS!!!! I bought a frogspawn from a lfs (not SEAUMARINE) and I am starting to get brown jelly disease. fking sooo annoying every one of my lfs is giving me some type of freaking diseased livestock. Sorry for my language. Anyhow, any ideas on what to do? I am very worried as it may infect my other corals. Please advise! I already chopped off one part of this coral that had it before, but this one started getting it too..

2. Click Here!

3. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Suck it off with a turkey baster. Then do a Lugols Solution dip on it.

4. Flazky

Flazky Bristle Worm

thanks for the quick reply, I just went out to every fish store that was still open and all I could find is kent marine Iodide supplement....any idea how I can make a lugols out of this?

5. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Don't use that so you can return it. That's mainly for people with a lot of sponges or planted marine tanks or very large refugiums.

Call your local drugstore and ask for the pharmacist. Tell them you need Lugol's Solution or 5% Postassium Iodide. Most drug stores will have it (and it will be cheaper than your LFS). This is something every reefer will eventually buy so you're not wasting money here. You can even print this out for the pharmacist. Lugol's iodine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

6. Flazky

Flazky Bristle Worm

oh man thanks a whole bunch.

7. Flazky

Flazky Bristle Worm

alright, so right now, all the pharmacies are closed...what should I do? I dont have an extra heater but I do have an extra tank

8. Click Here!

9. divott

divott Giant Squid

there should be a shoppers drug mart open by you , theyre open til at least 11

1 person likes this.
  10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I wouldn't be in a panic. It'll be fine tomorrow or it won't. Even if you run all over kingdom come tonight, it's apparently had BJD all day......a few more hours really won't matter.

Siphon up the brown jelly, SLIGHTLY increase the flow over the affected polyp so that it won't build up again overnight.

11. Flazky

Flazky Bristle Worm

Oh really? I thought shopper's pharmacy is closed...usually its only the store thats open...anyhow I am so thankful for 3reef...for a newbie reefer like me to to get so upset so early of a stage...its just it seems like the lfs around me are just crap quality...or it could just be me not knowing how to choose corals and whatnot due to my inexperience....I dunno =p Anyhow thanks divott again for your help!

12. Flazky

Flazky Bristle Worm

Oh! just another thing...due to my inexperience again..-.-...when I first got the brown jelly disease I didnt know what it was so I tried getting it out with my hands.....(dumb....) and some of it went into my overflow. I did not think to siphon it out unfortunately...but will this affect my tank? Is there anything to permanently get rid of it from my tank?