Brown Fuzzy Algae

Discussion in 'Algae' started by mirosh, Oct 31, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

Hello All,

I have recently noticed a build-up of a brown fuzzy looking algae on my live rock. It is not present on the sand or on the glass...just on the rocks. Any idea what it is and how I can get rid of it?

Thanks,
    Mike

2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

Mike,
    I read an article that said most brown algae is caused by a high silicate content. I use an old toothbrush and scrub it off my rocks prior to a water change.
    Then I try to vacuum it out.

Jim

4. mirosh

mirosh Feather Duster

I don't know where I could be getting silicate from? I didn't add anything new to the tank...it just seems to have come from nowhere. I hate to vacuum my tank because I don't want to ruin my sandbed.

Thanks,
    Mike

5. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I would suggest a little trick I do.
    Use the tooth brush, but with an elastic band attach a length of tubing.
    Have the tubing long enough to reach your sump. Then put a micro bag in your sump and run the tubing into it. This way as you scrub you are not loosing any water out of your system but you are trapping the algae.
    I have done this with brown nuisance polyps but not algae so you maybe just spreading the spores. Because the micro bag may not be enough to stop the spores.

J