brown algea

Discussion in 'Algae' started by tresguey, Oct 13, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

i have been cycleing my tank with about 60 lbs of lr and some hermits and damsels. just had a 40 watt 50/50 on it . but just removed it to put in a dual 96 pc on it. and wham after 2 days all my live rock is covered with brown ugly algea. is that bad? or is that part of the process. if it is bad how do i take care of it. i wanna start addind some easy to take care of coral. is it too soon?

2. Click Here!

3. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

It's probably diatoms and it's part of the process. I wouldn't consider adding corals until your tank has been fully cycled for at least 3 months.

4. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

so its not a bad thing. my lfs said i may have to pull all the live rock. he said it was ruined. i bet he just wanted to make a few more bucks off of me.

5. Brian_B47

Brian_B47 Astrea Snail

I agree diatom is part of the normal process. I've had my tank for a year now and I still go though diatom out breaks 8)

6. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

[quote author=tresguey link=board=General;num=1097677374;start=0#2 date=10/14/04 at 00:59:06]i bet he just wanted to make a few more bucks off of me.[/quote]

I'll bet that he did :)

7. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

thanks guys you saved me money. at the same time i learned something

8. Click Here!

9. dx7fd2

dx7fd2 Sea Dragon

It sounds to me like you are right on schedule, tresguey, your LFS wants your money but as a result of the knowledgable crew here at 3reef you know more than the LFS. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

I am experiencing the middle of the first diatom bloom (tank is 2.5 months into cycle, and my LFS was trying to tell me to add corals...I think I will wait until the tank is at least three if not four months into the cycle and the first algae blooms have run their course). I added some Astrea snails, and will be adding a few Cerith snails (both snail types are happily munching away at the diatom algae) to help and I am waiting for the next bloom which if I am not mistaken will be a green turf algae. The turf algae will provide a food source for some of the desirable critters that will help the tank come alive (copepods, amphipods and the like).  8)

I think this is the point where I will need to watch out for the green hair algae which will grow if there is a high nutrient (nitrate) source in the water column. Both the diatom and the turf algaes use the nitrate as a food source so I am seeing a drop in nitrates as a result of their bloom. (It helps that I am using RO/DI water and there are no nitrates being added to the tank.) ;)

[move][glow=blue,2,300]Welcome to 3Reef, tresguey!![/glow][/move]

[smiley=sunny.gif][smiley=sunny.gif] [smiley=sunny.gif]​

Drew