Brown Algae Question?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by BobGeorge, Jul 20, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. BobGeorge

BobGeorge Astrea Snail

Hello,

I have FOWLR aquarium...125 gallon...it has been up about 10 weeks now. In the last week I started getting a lot of brown algae...most on the sand.

Any clue what that is or how I can fix it?

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Caspian

Caspian Coral Banded Shrimp

Diatoms, new tanks love to make these they will Over time go away, phosphates and silicates are what they love to grow on, and since it's kind of a new tank your sand and rock could still be releasing some in to the water. Give it time the tank will settle out and it should turn green. If it's a total eyesore you could attempt to siphon it out by swishing the water up near the spots then suck it out just make sure your far enough away from the sand your not pulling sand.

Really you shouldn't have to siphon it out, it gives a natural look and with time and maybe some snails it will go away.

4. Caspian

Caspian Coral Banded Shrimp

Before I forget! Flow is an important thing if you have a lot of dead spots in your tank food and poop will settle there and then more brown love will grow there. If you have powerheads use them to keep some flow going so the stuff stays suspended instead of collecting in a deadzone.

5. BobGeorge

BobGeorge Astrea Snail

Thank you for the information.