Brown algae on sand

Discussion in 'Algae' started by Steelers, Nov 11, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Steelers

Steelers Astrea Snail

I just moved my 55 gallon tank, to my 90 gallon tank. I've had my 90 gallon running for about a week, and I'm starting to see some brown algae growing on the sand and powerheads. I have to Aqua Clear 802's in there now, but going to be replacing them with 2 Koralia 850 gph. This is a FOWLR system, with 2 clowns, and a yellowtail damsel as my only fish.

Unfortunately, I'm using tap water, but I checked my Phosphates and Nitrates and they both read 0. Is this brown algae an early stage of cyno, or is this just a normal maturing process of a new tank?

2. Click Here!

3. target001

target001 Skunk Shrimp

4. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

Silica based compounds are probably still present in your water. This is a typical side effect of usage of tap water. Event the "purest" one! You have to wait until all silicates (normally found in tap water) get converted by your alage flora!

Good luck... Advise: [SCROLL]PATIENCE + RO/DI H[SUB]2[/SUB]O[/SCROLL]

5. Steelers

Steelers Astrea Snail

6. Camilsky

Camilsky Montipora Capricornis

You can try to remove the excess of algae mechanically, however that can enhance the sporulation.

You should try to use RO/DI water.

I would advise just to wait and let it cycle completely.

On top of that, you might consider buying phosphate adsorption resins , that will for sure speed up the phosphate elimination cycle. The presence of high concentrations of free phosphate stimulates algae blooms.

Good luck...

7. BaxterS80

BaxterS80 Pajama Cardinal

Typical part of the cycling process. I know that it doesnt look to pretty, and when i went through it initially I was upset..I did implement a phosphate reactor, which may have cleared up the diatoms a bit early. After about two weeks the brown cleared and then green algae appeared. Shortly after the green algae appeared, Coralline algae appeared. Now the tank is encrusted with Coralline. All of the live rock, about 160lbs worth is encrusted and about 80& of back glass is coated. I did find a small colony of bubble algae the other day, in the very back of the tank. I will keep an eye on it, but at this point I am not concerned...

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Be patient it will pass...then you can plan on having to deal with other algae's...;) --- completely normal

10. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

11. Steelers

Steelers Astrea Snail

The brown algae in my tank disappeared. I was adding purple up to my tank to get some of the coraline growing on my lr, now a few weeks later, I got cyno on my sand, and a green film like the one in this post growing on my glass

http://www.3reef.com/forums/algae/g...ight-what-am-i-missing-doing-wrong-38985.html

I'll check the nitrates and phosphates to see if anythings wrong, but last time I check they were normal

12. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Well, i'd look to the phosphates as a possible problem because it just so happens that alot of the earth's crust (which is mostly underwater) is silica based... so silicates are not completely removeable from your tank. Maybe look for either an extreme excess of this or a possible food source for the algea.. any sunlight on your tank?