Brown algae...I think

Discussion in 'Algae' started by JetEngineMech, Jul 9, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. IBMGeek

IBMGeek Montipora Digitata

Im getting some too but my mexican turbo snails destroy it pretty fast.

2. Click Here!

3. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

I don't know if diatoms, but I have always gotten a browish film on glass almost every day in spots...easily wiped off with mag float...or the snails get it.

Have had diatoms before that turns sand all brown and ugly, esp when first starting out...but I am pretty sure this is a different creature or different form of it.

4. JetEngineMech

JetEngineMech Feather Duster

Yeah, I'm getting some ugly brown spots in the sand too. It's thick enough to hold together a bit if you try to break it up.

5. reefboy23

reefboy23 Feather Duster

a refugium with some macros would most likely get rid of the brown algae because the brown algae thrives off of nutrients present in ur water and the macros also thrive off of nutrients present in the water,so eventually the stronger dominant macros will steal the food supply (nutrients) and the brown algae will starve ridding your tank of the unwanted algae and any slime. U could also cut back on feeding to lower ur nitrates if they are high along with a water change and some regular tank housekeeping and these things should do the trick.

6. JetEngineMech

Would adding any live rock help? It seems like all this started after I lost for fish within about 10 days, two clowns and the blennies.

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

We have to clean our glass every other day because of brown algae. If that's all you've been having to do, I wouldn't worry about it much because you're always going to have brown algae (diatoms). You can reduce it by reducing what it feeds on like phosphates, silicates and nitrates but you can't eliminate it completely. It's just par for the course in a marine tank :)

Now, when you describe the algae on your sand, I'm compelled to believe that you might have something besides diatoms. Can you take a picture of that particular algae?

8. Click Here!

9. JetEngineMech

I'll have to when I get home (I'm at work now). It's really spreading and getting long, too.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

I'm starting to think that the algae on your sand could be cyanobacteria or dinoflagellates so please do post pics when you can :)

11. JetEngineMech

OK, here are a couple of shots. The algae on the sand looked brown at first, but now its definitely green. You can see some of the brown stuff on the glass in front of the skimmer.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Hard to tell from that picture but the stuff on the sand looks more like cyanobacteria to me than diatoms. The stuff near your skimmer does look like diatoms though.