Brown algae & Hair Algae bloom?!?!

Discussion in 'Algae' started by flynhawaiianz28, May 25, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

So for the past week or so I have been watching the algae seemingly get worse in my 90 gallon. This is not a newly setup tank and I'm not sure what is causing it. I have to clean the front glass about once a week from green algae and then on the other 3 walls there is a ton of hair algae. Now brown algae is showing up on the rocks and sand along w/ hair algae. I'm not sure on what to do to get this bloom to stop if possible or if there is anything i can get to help it. I use RO/DI water to replace evaporated water so I wouldnt think that is the cause and I keep the temp at 78. Please help:confused:

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

1 person likes this.
  4. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

How old are your lights? What type are they? Old lights are one culprit and phosphates are another. Do you employ a phosphate reactor? Are you using flake food? Flakes are another culprit.

5. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

if all parameters are good then I would look at the lights

6. flynhawaiianz28

my lights are only like 6 months old cause i bought the set up brand new w/ t5 bulbs...i am not currently using a phosphate reactor & i do use flake food. But the one thing I did just find is that my UV sterilizer has completely quit working:angry: so I have to purchase a new one but I'm not sure if that explains all the hair algae or not...all i know is that all this algae is becoming a nuisance & I would like to just get rid of it for the most part.

7. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Yes, more than likely the UV going out has allowed for the bloom. I personally would add a phos reactor. UVs get mixed reactions from us as they are indiscriminate as to what they are killing off. If it works for you, get another. I would eliminate or cut down considerably on the flakes. I use flake as part of my rotation diet but they only come around 2-3 times a month.

8. Click Here!

9. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

What colour are your lights?? Alot of companies provide t5 lighting with bulbs designed to grow plants. Plus excess nutrients need to be reduced as this will help prevent it from coming back. Adding a sea hair will remove it physically.

10. flynhawaiianz28

i'm not sure what brand the light is but it has 6 bulbs and I only have 3 10,000k bbulbs and 1 actinic bulb on during the day and it is on a timer. I'll have to start cutting down on the flakes but what should I use in the diet besides flakes. I use brine, mysis, arcti-pods, marine cuisine, emerald entree, bloodworms, seaweed salad (for my tangs) and new life spectrum pellets all in a different rotation. Any other suggestions for food? And I wouldnt mind gettina sea hare but i'm not sure if my blue spotted puffer will pick on it or not since he likes to pick on any snail that is on the glass. I'll have to look into a phos. reactor..any suggestions on what 2 get for that?

11. flynhawaiianz28

Alright guys....sorry to bring up a dead thread but I'd like to give an update and see what people think....so i got so fed up w/ my 90 gal. that i tore it down, rearranged the rock and removed all the hair algae from the walls and from the rock without scrubbing. I know it was a solid solution but it seems that every time I come down in the morning before the lights turn on that the brown algae has disappeared and the hair algae doesnt seem as bad on the walls but after the light being on for a duration of the day the brown algae is really visible and the progress of hair algae is noticeable so is this due to my t5 lighting that is less than a year old?! or is the lighting reacting w/ the water to make this algae occur?

12. Vancop

Vancop Skunk Shrimp

Have you tested the water for Phosphates and or Silicates ?? Is your RO Membrane still working / how old is it? How old is your DI resin ? Do you use a TDS Meter ? Is there any outside sunlight getting into the tank ?

Just a few thoughts ......I have been fighting the same issues and I feel its due to my initial water .....I WAS using DI water only...but have since learned that my well water contains very high silicates which was causin the brown algae ( Diatoms ) and brown hair algae. I don't use a UV and after a few weeks of better water quality ( purchasing from LFS ) I can already see a huge difference in the nusance algae growth.

Good luck