Brown Algae growing on Cheato

Discussion in 'Algae' started by grubbsj, Oct 31, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

While my cheato is slowly growing, it is being covered with more and more brown algae...the cheato is a deep, dark green under the brown...

The cheato is full of "bugs"... it seems that quite a bit of the baby brine shrimp I hatch and feed to the DT are finding their way into the refugium and have grown into adults... :)

IMG_0103.JPG

You can see my current chemistry on the links below.... NO3 floats between 2 and 10 ppm... PO4 between 0.00 and 0.1 ppm (by Hanna Checker)... when the PO4 comes up, I add back in the GFO until testing shows 0.00... and yes, I know we over feed the tank... :-/

Does anyone else see this occur in their sump?

Do I need to be concerned with "cleaning" the cheato?

If you do clean you cheato, do you do more than just...shake it vigorously in a bucket of salt water and put it back?

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

grubbsj
    I would rinse it as you described as otherwise the algae affects the amount of light available to the Chaeto

Steve

1 person likes this.
  4. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

It seemed to be the right thing... thank you for the quick reply.

5. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

Follow on note:

The chaeto looks much better now...

Here's a shot of the rinse water:
    IMG_0114[1].jpg

More valuable, here's a close up of what was washed out, a 3 inch plastic petri dish, 1/4" of sample, through the zoom of an iPhone and a 10x lighted magnifying glass. Can you see the little bugs? With out the benefit of movement, they are hard to see... holding very still, I could see many "tiny" bugs and several adult brine shrimp.
    IMG_0115[1].jpg

Summary: It appears that the chaeto is a great filter for floating 'stuff' and a foundation upon which the brown algae can grow.

6. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

where is the shot of the clean chaeto then?

Steve

7. grubbsj

grubbsj Gigas Clam

Fair enough:

This first one (though a bit out of focus), shows the color difference of the thick thread (right side) chaeto purchased last year, and the thin thread (left side) chaeto purchased from Magnus.
    IMG_0117[1].jpg

Here a more in-focus pic of the clean, thick thread, chaeto (right side of photo). As well, you can easily see the diameter difference of the chaeto threads...

IMG_0116.jpg

1 person likes this.