Broken off Zoa.....What to do?

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by Johnnie Mac, May 23, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Johnnie Mac

Johnnie Mac Bristle Worm

I have a part of my Eagle Eye Zoanthid that broke off from the colony, about 12 polyps. I put a rock next to it to see if it will attach itself to it in the front corner of my tank ... Will this work or is there another method to get in onto the rock. Or do I just let it find a spot?...

I attached some pics for you to see...They are open now. seem healthy but never dealt with this before....:huh2:

Thank you

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

4. Damsels R Cool

Damsels R Cool Millepora

you could glue them on with super glue GEL

5. offensetaken

offensetaken Montipora Digitata

I'm no pro at this by any means but imo you'd prob have better luck using a reef safe epoxy or reef safe super glue to attach it to the rock. I have heard of people using a rubberband or regular super glue but you might wanna wait until someone more familiar with this chimes in!

6. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

+1 I've done both. This works. In your current setup, it's likely the current or a crab or something might knock it free floating in your tank and you'll lose it only to find it attached, months later, exactly where you do not want it ;)

I'd use gel super glue. Like you find at walgreens. Glue out of the water to a rock. The zoa will be fine.

7. fish addict

fish addict Spaghetti Worm

super glue gel is a merical worker my favorite i highly recommend!!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. Trevdog

Trevdog Plankton

k+ for the super glue gel i use it on my Zoas. and if you don't want o reattach them you could always send them to me!!!

10. Johnnie Mac

Johnnie Mac Bristle Worm

Well the good news is that I fixed the zoa. I attached it to a LR...On the other hand I just got back from the ER from exposure to the palytoxin and a bit of poisoning. must have been from handling it (Zoa) in the tank before, I took pics without gloves. After I was done I began to feel numb in my fingers and lightheaded, and heavy breathing.I told my wife that something was wrong with me. I then googled palytoxin, and a huge dose of Anxiety kicked in......Which added to the stress I was in when I read the words that followed the symptoms (which I was having) we're "...and death moments later..." After that I was ready to pass out... MY wife is now pi**ed and scared all in one . She is worried for my daughter and began to over react. (didnt help me much)... My breathing was more labored and I was in daze....So guess what. The call went out to 911....The operator did not understand what I was talking about... so now here is the family going to the ER.... after the paramedics took our vitals and my blood pressure was through the roof... ( mostly from the anxiety)... Now for precautions my wife want the baby (2 year old) and herself to be looked at too. So, there we sat being observed for 2 hours for any more effect. and to let the anxiety induced blood pressure to drop...well a call was made to poison control and it was determined that in order for a person to die from that, they would have to eat it. Well They did say I do have exposure. I got some benydryl cream for my fingers and poison control 24 hour line number. So lesson learned, never handle the coral ot put my hand into the tank without gloves....

2 people like this.
  11. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Dude. That sucks. Glad you're OK man. Remember to ditch any water that you may have been working with that is lying around. Read somewhere about a dog that drank Zoa fragging water and died. You may want to run carbon in your tank also.

My wife just read it and made me PROMISE to not handle them without gloves. Jeez, see what you started????!!!!!!

K+ to ya man. Seriously, I'm glad you're OK.....

Peace.......John.

12. Johnnie Mac

Johnnie Mac Bristle Worm

Sorry to get your wife worried. I just wanted to post it to warn people of some of the dangers in this beautiful environment.
    Thank you for your thoughts. I did have the area cleaned up before I was done... Just s scary experience... And I don't scare easy. I did have most precautions with eye goggles and glove for the procedure itself in an room with a ventilated area to the outside.....

But the zoa is doing good and My wife is a little preturbed at me still...