Broken coral branch growth

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by Swisswiss, Aug 1, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Swisswiss

Swisswiss Caribbean Reef Squid

While fixing an acropora coral a while back the tip of one the branches broke, so i made a little frag of it. I think its been about 4 or 5 months since. The frag is incrusting nicely but the tip hastnt branched yet (impatience is a terrible thing)

Was hoping you would share your thoughts on the overall health and growth of both the "mother" coral and the frag. they seem overall good but the polyp extension is poor.

i have a singapore emperor who iv seen nap at the foot of sps (stilphora and another acro colony) and a clown goby who likes to hang around the safety of the branches, at night polyps dont show that much either.

Frag
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375361376.076657.jpg
    Mother
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375361498.372352.jpg
    Curious blue
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1375361535.712931.jpg

Ps. The bleached area came with the purchase.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Love the color. You have fish that may tend to mess with corals and that will prevent complete PE. You should probably also be on the look out for Red Bugs.

Try adjusting the flow to it as well.

4. Swisswiss

the original colony is in an area with medium to low intermittent flow and the frag is higher and closer to where the two streams of my power heads (pointed towards the surface) collide.

ill dig deeper into these red bugs, is there a preferable time to spot them?
    also apparently they can be controlled with water temperature and flow?

5. Corailline

There are some theories that if you lower the temp on your tank enough you will actually kill them but that seems a serious step to take.

How I have found them in the past is to take some really good marcro images and crop them and then blow them back up. Red Bugs have that little red/orange head and are hard to miss once you know what your looking for.

A few hobbyist do not even treat for them. It's thought Pipe fish will keep the parasite in check. Some hobbyist have treated successfully for RB only to have a full blown infestation of AEFW appear. It's thought that RB keep AEFW in check.

You can always go with proven treats like Interceptor.

It's all a mote point though unless you have RB.

6. Swisswiss

thank you Cheryl ill keep a closer eye on it.

7. Corailline

You're welcome. :)

The most obvious cause might very well be the Clown Goby and or the Angel though.

8. Click Here!

9. Swisswiss

also.....

the main colony when purchased had longer thiner branches, these branches have fattened without bleaching.
    think thats a good thing no?

corailline: you just made me realise how little knowledge i have on coral parasites.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  10. Pickupman66

Pickupman66 Tassled File Fish

IMO color looks pretty good. but what are your water params? elevated nitrates will hinder growth of this acro. what sort of lights are you using? lastly,yes, you will need to check for parasites. to me, the easiest way is to actually pull out the colony and dip it. I swear by using the Bayer Home Pest control. I use 1 or 2 ml per cup of tank water. if you have AEFW,they will fall off. same with red bugs. you can tell easily if you have AEFW by looking for small circles on the coral tissue.

lastly, that goby in my experience is NOT a good coral fish. same with your angel.