Broken Center Brace!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ultramafic, Sep 7, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ultramafic

ultramafic Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I have been looking around at websites for a new tank as well. Mine came to me with some pretty bad scratches that nobody else claims to see but its the only thing i see. I also had to reseal the bottom, and now that the brace has gone out, well you know. I'm going to try and salvage this first before anything else, just waiting on my friend with the welder so we can make the brace patch. thanks again everyone for all the ideas and help, mahalo.

2. Click Here!

3. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

That 1/2" bow is a real concern. You do need to empty the tank to relieve the pressure and then gradually increase the clamp screws to get it back to square. Go slow or you'll shatter the glass.

You are darn lucky you found this!!

Hope I helped.

M

4. ultramafic

ultramafic Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

FIXED!

Drained the tank about halfway to relieve pressure
    [​IMG]

Heres the steel bracket we fabbed up. sprayed it with rust proofing paint about 10 coats.
    [​IMG]

i used a two part expoxy to hold it down on the sides and then also put a couple of nylon screws from the new brace and through the old one to help keep it in place. The clamps stayed on for 36 hours after the new brace was in place to make sure everything dried. I'd be really surprised if this new brace didn't work out. Thank you everyone for all the ideas and help with this.

New issue. hah, i know i know. After i fixed the tank i went on a 6 day trip to Vegas leaving my timers and roommate in charge of the tank. my daylight timer got jammed and so those lights stayed on for a couple full days. I came home to some sad looking slightly bleached out corals with algae going crazy. i cleaned out some algae and have been running only my dawn/dusk lights (160 of my 320 watts). Some pieces were already to far gone, any hope for the half bleached ones?

5. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

The bleached will come back.

Glad to have contributed in some way to your fix.

Mark