Brittle Stars

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by david, Jul 15, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

The main thing is, does it have the same pattern on the disc?

2. Click Here!

3. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

Oops! not sure I thought I was lookin' for bristles well I guess I'll have to wait till he's out to see. He or she? went directly under the rock and I don't want to go pullin it out so I'll let ya know when I see it out. Or if it scarfs down my blenny or something :eek: ha-ha

4. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I doubt it'll do any harm, just be warned. Keep it feed, it'll eat anything, and be greedy about it to boot.

5. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

I saw it out this morning before the light came on it has bristles on its central disk as well and I don't know if this helps but I noticed the bristles running up it's arms every 6th-8th one is a little longer and fatter than the rest?

6. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I'm looking for the pattern, not bristles. Compare it to the pictured green serpeant star, is the pattern the same? don't worry about how long the bristles are, that doesn't help me (I'm not a scientist, I just know a few points of id).

7. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Brittle Stars can and will eat fish no matter what their color. I had a well fed common Black/Gray Brittle that went into my tank at about 4" across. The book on the Black/Gray was absolutely reef safe.

At 10" it, altough feeding regularly on krill, mysis shrimp, and dead snails (power head casualties), ate two 3" - 4" Carpenter Wrasses as they slept. Off to the LFS for credit it went. This doesn't mean that your Brittle wil exhibit the same behavior, just beware!

8. Click Here!

9. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

So craig how were you sure that it was the star that ate the wrasse? I just had a similar problem I found my 6 line wrasse half eaten but I have no clue what ate it I was thinking it was bristle worms but it very well may have been the brittle star!
    Whatever it was it sucks

10. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Craigs case is a rare one, usually those type aren't the hunting type, meaning they'll hunt out your fish. Heres a pic of the yellow (same critter as green and orange ones) serpeant star from the south pacific. These ones are known fish hunters, they're the ones that form a basket for fish to sleep in.

Attached Files:

11. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

I've never had any problem with these and small fish.

Attached Files:

12. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

Is this the one your talking about Craig?

Attached Files: