Brittle Star

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Gaspare, Sep 30, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Gaspare

Gaspare Astrea Snail

:-[ HJello Everyone, I am hoping someone can help me out. I have a large red brittle star that was very active and fine last night but this morning I found it on the bottom of my tank with all its arms broken off. The limbs were all still moving. Is this normal? What would make the star lose its arms? Shoud I leave all of the peices in the tank or should I remove them? :'(

2. Click Here!

3. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Yikes, sorry the read this one. A few questions first. How long have you had the star? How long has your reef been up? What other fish/ inverts do you have in the tank?

J

4. Gaspare

Gaspare Astrea Snail

:( I have a 110 gal (48''x18"x30") up for about 1 month, but prior to this I had a 75 gal up for 3 months and then the tank cracked. I was able to transfer most of the water and all of the contence in to the 110. I have about 50 lbs of live rock, 4inch dsb, colt coral, hairy green muchroom corals, grean star polus, button polups, pulsing zeanea coral, small yellow tang, a royal gramma, 2 small green cromis, 2 smal ocolaris clown fish, 50 small blue legged hermit crabs, and 2 cat eye snails. All i can tink is that I may have disturbed it some how yesterday when I tried to modify my skimmer (but that is another story). Is it normal for them to just fall apart?

5. Gooser

Gooser Plankton

I've never heard about that, almost sounds like something attacked it... I had a feather duster that was basically devoured by a hermit crab... You have to watch out for them sometimes... not sure...

6. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

Its possible you might have an hitchiker in your tank that you never knew existed. i would keep an eye on the tank and look at night. also keep an eye on the legs are they moving on there own at all? some stars when they loose legs they turn into more stars. when ripped or torn, linkias from time to time will drop there legs and multiply that way.

7. Gaspare

Gaspare Astrea Snail

Thank you for the advise I will look in on the tank tonight and see if there is anything out hunting.[smiley=rifle.gif] I am not so lucky. My stars legs were moving but they have all since become fish food. My crabs have eaten every every trace of him. [smiley=chef.gif]

8. Click Here!

9. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

the best way to look for critters is to put a red cover over your flashlight. red cellaphane, cerran wrap would work to, or plastic fo some type. it allows you to see but the red light doesnt make them hide. my tanks been going for about 2 years and im still findin stuff 6 months or so ago i found another crab never saw him before

10. Gaspare

Gaspare Astrea Snail

Thank you for the tip I will give that a try. ;D