Unresolved Brittle star.. Legs falling off ...Not my week with the fishys

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by jdameli1, Dec 18, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

He is missing 2 legs notice this morning.

Did someone eat them? This tank has foxface fairy wrasse, blue Chromis scooter blenny and a very small 3 stripe damsel.

What do I do? [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

Well first I'd say that does not look like the brittle stars I have seen. . .
    It looks a bit more like a sand sifting star. If it is a SS Star - he will die in that substrate as it is far too large of an average grain size for him to be able to extract food out of.

Also - how old and how big is the tank? Most of the time these starfish need GIANT tanks to survive for any period of time.

4. Zoanthids21

Zoanthids21 McKoscker’s Flasher Wrasse

Normally this is like the melting process of a starfish..And that is a sandsifter star im pretty sure..

Normally this leads to death of the starfish..But i have seen people regrow their legs...No clue how though.

But, it could be because of these reason.

What size grain is your sand?(some may be to big and not able to go into the sand and sift it and eat)
    How big is the tank?(needs a certain size so it can survive off of stuff in the sand)
    How long has the tank been up?

5. Guy

Guy Spaghetti Worm

Could have he been stressed by electricity? The lights and filter send waves throughout the tank. I had a serpent star drop his legs out of stress; my solution was a grounding wire.

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

Not sure what kind of star fish that is but most Star Fish need a mature tank to ensure there is enough food. If it turns out to be a Sand Sifting Star I would say your black gravel would not be the best substrate for such a star fish
    Unfortunately Stars drop legs "melt" away when they are dieing

J

7. SushiGirl

SushiGirl Barracuda

Definitely a sand sifting star, and if he's on the glass he's starving. You could try "planting" meaty food in the sand, but that substrate doesn't look like it'll work for him, too big of a grain as others have said. They need actual sand and tons and tons of sand critters to eat.

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. PetMother

PetMother Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Most starfish can regerate their legs because the loss is a defensive mechanisim BUT if no one is eatting them that means they are stressed or starving.

1 person likes this.
  10. jdameli1

jdameli1 Torch Coral

It looks like something bit his leg off. The substrate in this tank is the aragonite black caribsea live sand is that bad? Should I be removing this substrate.

Hes not normally on the glass I put him so I could get a pic.

Your right he is a sand sifting star. I have 3 tanks with a220 in the works right now he is in a 72 only been in about a week. I figured I could move him from tank to tank. The tank he is in is at least 9 months.

Anything I can do for him?

11. Guy

Guy Spaghetti Worm

I'd try to switch substrate. Ive never had a sand sifting stat, but maybe some cyclopeeze in sand would be good, or brine. The first saltwater tank ive ever had was a 2 gallon with three starfish I'd found at the beach. They were washed up and almost dead. I had them for 4 years in that same tank. Back then I didn't know about parameters or syphoning, and my substrate was gravel. They ate everything I would put in. Pellets, shrimp, even some little slices of steak I tried when I had no food. :) hardiest things ever. Only if sand Sifters were like that...

12. M-Ocean Man

M-Ocean Man Flame Angel

He needs to be in sugar-sized substrate.

If he is on the glass he is starving to death and looking for a way out.

The large black substrate you have is not good for the star at all.

A 75 gallon tank with good substrate is also a bit small for SS Stars. Your 220 will house it nicely once it's old enough.

But I would recommend bringing it back to where you got it for two reasons:

A: It doesnt sound like you have a tank that is ready to house one properly.
    B: SS Stars are actually really bad for DSB's - for SSB's they may be fine - but for a true DSB they are bad because they stir the substrate TOO much and tend to kill the macro/micro flora/fauna in there too. Small snails, bristleworms, spaghetti worms, and good flow are some of the pillars of a successful tank structure.