Bristleworms

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Little Fishy, Sep 25, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Little Fishy

Little Fishy Astrea Snail

I need some experienced advice. My 55g tank is about 6 months old. About a month ago I dicovered bristleworms in my tank and now I feel like they are multiplying! I dont want them to take over and I haven't even developed my population or got corals or clams yet.

I researched the topic and it seems like anything I could buy (wrasse, arrow crab etc) will kill or attack what I already have in my tank. I have 2 jv clowns and 2 chromis. I have one cleaner shrimp, 3 blue leg and 3 red leg hermits and about 15 snails.

What can I buy to eat the bristelworms (or control an infestation) that will not hurt what I already have in the tank?

2. Click Here!

3. Reefing Madness

Reefing Madness Skunk Shrimp

Ease up on your tank feedings, that will thin them out. And they are a good thing to have in the tank, not a bad thing. Only if you continue to feed and they get outta hand. Right now, you have them in hand. Try it from that stand point first.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

+1 to this.

5. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Agreed. A healthy system WILL have some bristleworms. The key is to limit nutrients to keep their population under control.

6. Ice

Ice Astrea Snail

I agree. When I started my 180 gallon tank several months in I noticed an outbreak of worms, ( I was a little eager to feed my fish ) and this can also happen if you've had 1 or 2 fish die on you, once you get into a good feeding / cleaning routine there will be fewer worms
    Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.1-update1; en-us; HTC Hero Build/ERE27) AppleWebKit/530.17 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/530.17

7. zzzzzzzzpr

zzzzzzzzpr Purple Spiny Lobster

i got 1 by hichiking and have seem him since was told they are god for the tank as part of the cuc.

8. Click Here!

9. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

My tank is a B worm queendom-lol-have sat an watched a worm play tug-o-war with a peppermint shrimp over a piece of frozen shrimp :) B worms are IMO one of the better members of the cuc. Totally agree with limiting tank feedings to only that which your fish can consume within a few minutes will keep them in check. If however they do become over populated, you can try starving them out or trapping them. A nylon stocking and a little frozen shrimp works wonders :)

10. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

agreed; bristleworms are a sign of uneaten food getting trapped in the nooks and crannies of your system. Breaking up feedings and feeding more often, and/or increasing flow, and protein skimming to remove the suspended particulates will help. If you are indeed "over-feeding", i.e. feeding significantly more than required by your tank inhabitants, then reducing feeding may help. However, they are a good thing. If they didn't eat all the crud, it would build up and cause lots of issues long term. In small numbers, they are a normal part of your cleaning crew. In excess numbers, they can be a sign of feeding issues described above.

11. Little Fishy

Little Fishy Astrea Snail

wow thanks guys - sorry I didnt even know people responded to this. I will cut back on feeding. I give one thawed out cube of spirolina that i soaked in garlic drops and inevitably the water flow pushes some into that corner. I try to only drop in what the fish will eat, wait 10 minutes and drop some more in but only as much as i think they can eat right away. in other words i dont drop the whole cube in. The hermit crabs and clearner shrimp have been awesome at cleaning up residue but I am going to try pouring in the bare minimum on the other side of the tank and see what happens to the worm population. thank you so much for taking the time to help out. I appreciate the advice so much.