Bristleworms... Good or Bad ??

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by markgsiy, Aug 12, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. markgsiy

markgsiy Astrea Snail

For the past week I have been trapping bristleworms in my tank in that "trap em" contraption I purchased from my local fish store.

So far I have trapped and killed about 5-6 bristleworms.

Is this good or bad ? From what others have said... they are good for the reef as they "clean up" while others say that they kill corals. Anyone has opinions on this ?

Now, I have not lost a coral yet, although I have just lost a seabae anenome a few days ago (I am sure some of you may remember my last posts here).. but I have decided that my anenome's death is due to other causes and not due to bristleworms.

The other question is, should I be removing them or should I stop trapping them and let them live in my tank?

Thanks a lot for your help !!

2. Click Here!

3. Gresham

Gresham Great Blue Whale

99% of bristleworms are fine and won't attack LIVE livestock. I have swarms of them, with zero problems. I do capture the larger ones, they just are simply to large and ugly for my taste. Bristleworms are they best scavanger, well they're in great compitiion with crown-of-thorns starfish (insane scavanger in a NON REEF, fish only).

The bristleworm we want to watch out for, is the fire worm. Not all that common in the trade.

4. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

I have lots of them to and i havent had a problem yet id keep em and like greesham said if they get to large for you then get rid of that one

5. hottielover14

hottielover14 Torch Coral

i've heard that they are good for your aquarium for other people and sorces. I agree because they eat detrius and other waste.

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

a small amount is good but when they start taking over your tank this is bad,
    I trap them once every 2 weeks or so and some go to the refugium and the others are toast.
    They are good if you over feed the tank but they can't get everything so be careful what you wish for.