Bristle Worms?

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by Reefboi, Aug 4, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Reefboi

Reefboi Astrea Snail

Hi, I've started to see a couple of these babies on my live rocks..I'm not sure if its good or bad. I found a picture of them on the web. Please help.
    [​IMG]

2. Click Here!

3. missionsix

missionsix Super Moderator Staff Member

Could be good or, bad. Too many and too big would be an issue for me. I've got them in my tank. They are good scavengers/detrivores. If they get too big, I yank them out and put them in my sump/fuge. IMO they are good.

4. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

If one gets too big, it might take out a fish. Otherwise, whatever works!!!!

5. Reefboi

Reefboi Astrea Snail

o ok.. but how big is too big?
    last week i found my 1" blue yellowtail damsel dead under the tip of the LR at the bottom. Today i found alot of them right at the same spot for the first time. Could've they done it?

UHH lol im gettin soo pissed off because I've been trying to figure out what has killed my cycling fish so I won't make the same mistake twice. But, there is alot of things that could've caused it, Early on I posted couple of threads on it, still, no definite answer.

http://www.3reef.com/forums/say-hello/addition-canister-filter-fish-loss-pls-help-50798.html

Filter motor boiling my fish?-Filters, etc..-3reef Forums

6. ssgheislerswife

ssgheislerswife Ritteri Anemone

It could be any number of things that killed your fish. It's one of those things that drives me crazy about this hobby, no concrete answers.

7. SmittyCoco

SmittyCoco Fire Shrimp

But yet we keep coming back for more !!! ;D

8. Click Here!

9. PharmrJohn

PharmrJohn The Dude

Yes we do. And all my spouse can do is watch in horror. OK it's not that bad.

10. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Without an autopsy or actually witnessing something killing your fish, a definite answer will not be forthcoming. I thought that the theory/reason I gave you was as close to accurate as possible under the circumstances. Bristle worms will not kill a healthy fish but they will start to eat a dead/dying one.

11. Reefboi

Reefboi Astrea Snail

You're Probably right, So should I add a ammonia clear tablets right away if I face something like this again? Would it do any good?

12. jptrson

jptrson Feather Duster

You should see my Undulated Trigger with his Goatee.. He just don't learn, but mm mm tasty snacks!