Bristle worms

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Sarah J, Jun 7, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sarah J

Sarah J Plankton

Found what will probably be the first of many bristle worms in my lr tonight. I wanted it dead the second I saw its nasty brown body slither into my button polyp. My button polyp is not attached to my lr yet, I'm considering doing a bath. Any tips to ensure I get rid of these monsters?

2. Click Here!

3. Drboomson

Drboomson Flamingo Tongue

4. flynhawaiianz28

flynhawaiianz28 Purple Spiny Lobster

^^^ +1, as well as they do make traps for bristleworms that do work and then you can just toss them out once they are trapped. I never liked them in my tank either but then I readup and saw that they are pretty harmless.

http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchworms.html - Scroll down and see if they look similar to the Eurythoe Complanata.

5. Sarah J

Sarah J Plankton

It looks exactly like the Eurythoe Complanata. Ugly as sin. It scared me more than anything. I'm a little concerned because I found it in and around my button coral. And today my anemone looked a little off. I know they are capable of eating/ harming both.

6. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I don't trust any worm no matter what people say. The traps work really well. I would set them up at night and every hour I would pull it out and empty it then put it back in.

7. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Coral Banded Shrimp love bristle worms, and IMOPE, are mostly harmless. Never had one attack anything else or steal food from corals, etc. If you already have a Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, that may present a problem, especially if it's in a smaller tank.

8. Click Here!

9. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

They are probably the best member of a cleanup crew that you can have. He will greatly benefit you and he will not hurt your coral. I would leave it.

10. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Misconception. People blame them for killing coral when in reality, they are eating flesh of already decaying coral.

11. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

I believe bristleworms can irritate coral very badly. I haven't had one "kill" any of my coral but I've had them damage my corals. Now that there in check my corals couldn't be happier. I remove any bristleworms I see immediately. This is my own experience with them as others may have never had a problem.

12. billybaldwin3

billybaldwin3 Skunk Shrimp

i think i have a cirratulid thing in my green star polyp. i can see the palps coming out of the holes in the rock, and the bottom of the rock(which i've seen things come out of too) has like white, hard tubes on it. like this thing is living in the tube....

can't really get a good pic, what do i do? it seems to be killing off my GSP :(