Bringing back Badly Bleached RBTA?

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by HollyG, Aug 17, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. HollyG

HollyG Teardrop Maxima Clam

A friend of mine's tank got very hot unfortunately teh last coule days! And killed a bunch of corals, and bleached his 2 BTA, one green and one Rose. He is giving me the Rose for free to see if I can't bring it back for him because he leaves for work for a couple weeks at a time and his mom has to watch his tank... so he is seing if I cant bring it back to health for him (I currently have my own GBTA which is doing FANTASTIC!!!).. so he feels very confident that I can fix it up, which I personally think I may be able to. I have no idea exactly how bleached it is... but I just wanna ask u guys who have helped bring back a bleached BTA, what I am lookin at here. I have no pic yet because I don't have it yet.... I will post a pic of it when I get it. What I am doing tho, is putting it in a strainer type container with LR hanging in the tank close by my other BTA. For any reason it starting really going down hill and I notice it falling apart or to the point of no return, that way I can just take the nem out right away and not worry about it being in a place that I cannot reach to remove it before it rotts and crashes my tank. So... I have read a bunch about bringing a bleached BTA back and have an idea what I am lookin at, but i wont know how bad it is until i actually see it tonight. Would love some suggestions and personal experiences fom u guys!! Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Let the nem settle into your tank and then feed it every few days, keep up with regular maintinance. Good luck :)

4. HollyG

Yea, that's what I have been reading everywhere. lol.

So, I now have the nem acclimating right now... gunna take it slow! But as for the look of the anemone itself... it's in OK condition I think... it still has some rose coloration, but definately IS bleached! It's foot is all intact and isn't damaged... and it's mouth isn't gaping open. The mouth has kind of a "puckered" look to it, probably being it's really ticked off! And it's shriveled very small! About the size of a nickle! lol... but over all it could definately be in worse shape. Looks like it still has some of it's bubble tips too. I think I'm actually just gunna place in on a small piece of rock about 3".. has a really nice crevise in it which I think the nem will love to nessle into.. and I will be wedging the rock close to my other bubble tip because it has NOT moved from that area since I got it, so it must obviously be a really good comfortable area. I'm very very confident I can get it's color back and it will be fine :D I'll acclimate it, turn off the moon lighting, let it settle over night and post a pic tomorrow.

5. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Good luck and wishing you the best. I'm all for free pickups especially a RBTA

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Good luck Holly and I think your usual routine should take care of the the bleaching issue in time.

7. HollyG

Hehe... thanks guy! Yea, since it was free, I had no problems taking it in! ;) :p lol I really hope it pulls through though! My Green BTA is doing absolutely fantastic so I think this Rose should perk up and get its color back eventually... I tried to see if t would eat anything, but it was not interested at all! One piece of mysys landed directly on its mouth anm dit ended up eating it... but this morning it spit it out... oh well, I tried lol I'll give it a few more days an dtry again.

8. Click Here!

9. HollyG

ok guys, so I got a pic.... YIKES! The nem is NOT happy what so ever this morning! Very ticked off and upset! It was the side of a nickle when I got it, now it is the side of a dine and the whole left side tenticle are completely shriveled tiny! It's not falling apart of anything... and before the main lights cam on, it's mouth was actually gaping open... it isn't now though. oh jeeze... this poor thing doesn't look good at all! I'm gunna keep an eye on it. Here is a pic of it this morning. I had to tweek the picture because it was hard to my camera to see it! lol It's sooooo tiny and bleached that it just looked like a white blotch in the pic!... I was able to tweek it to where you can see it... it actually has a little more rose color than what u can see. It still doesn't look good at all!

scsdfs 001 (800x534).jpg