Brine shrimp hatching

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by siftyzod, Oct 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. siftyzod

siftyzod Plankton

Hi there my daughters axolotls eggs have just hatched 6 days ago all roughly 395 of them and cause she is pretty on to it decided to try hatch live food for them
    now she is getting distressed cause her brine shrimp wont hatch and her fish are all dying cause they have not eaten and i mean they are all dying she has about 5 or 6 left and the adult just laid more eggs and they also will die when they hatch cause the brine shrimp eggs wont hatch

the setup she has made is a small jar under a lamp light running all the time and no eggs have hatched
    i refused to buy her an air pump as i cannot afford it after buying her fish etc and he shrimp eggs were really expensive
    so the question is are these eggs going to hatch and in time to save these last babies? and if not how can she hatch these eggs at all as 6 grams of eggs cost me almost $30

so right now any help would be good as my wee girl is getting upset and working her whole awake time trying to figure out why she cant hatch these eggs when all the websites she has looked at say its easy and she is getting dishearted but im also wondering if removing the new axolotl eggs and making sure these 2 breed no more is a good idea and using the last of th babies as live food for the adults

so anything that can be helpful?

2. Click Here!

3. Renee@LionfishLair

Renee@LionfishLair 3reef Sponsor

Assuming your using proper water and not keeping them too hot with the light, you need to give them oxygen. You could hatch a few in a container with just a little manual agitation, but enough to feed the offspring you speak of, you'll need that air pump.

Make her work it off in labor. Heck, send her over my way, I have lots of tank chores! :)

4. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

As mentioned, there is no way to hatch out enough brine shrimp nauplii to feed that many young ones without oxygen to keep everything in motion and to provide oxygen. The oxygen doesn't come from the bubbles themselves but from the surface agitation caused by the rising bubbles. The more the agitation, the more the oxygen exchange can work.
    Just a cheap air pump will do a hatcher for you. Air Pumps
    Keeping the cysts in motion with air bubbles is also important so that they don't suffocate while resting in a mass waiting for the hatch to happen.

Simple DIY hatcher

That price is a way too much for brine shrimp, and, the cysts may not have been properly stored as they should be kept below 40°F or they degrade. If left long enough like that they won't hatch properly, or they will only get a poor hatch. Keep the cysts in the refrigerator.
    You can order them online (or by phone) from Brine Shrimp Direct - Artemia cysts
    I have a brine shrimp page and my hatching method is described there.
    My Brine Shrimp Page

5. siftyzod

siftyzod Plankton

hey thanks for the replies as suggested by the 2 replies i brought my daughter a cheap air pump and an air stone and she has since made a bottle up and added her salt and eggs with air stone and pump and is now underway so hoping soon it will hatch her some eggs and we got her some frozen brine shrimp as a temp fix for the feeding as the petshop said it will be ok to use in the mean time....
    thanks heaps for your help

6. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

First thing to do is take the air stone out as the small bubbles can kill the newborn nauplii when they are hatched.
    Either weigh the flexible line down with something or better yet, use rigid air line tubing to do the job.
    Second thing to do is to stop getting information from your LFS.
    He has already sold you brine shrimp cysts at a way above the going price for that amount, and, now he is telling you that frozen brine shrimp will do the job.

Frozen brine will NOT do the job for most larvae,especially your larvae, as they won't eat dead food, even if is frozen NH brine shrimp.
    Always remember that so many stores are more interested in selling and making a profit than telling the truth.
    You are FAR better off to go to the forums such as this one especially, to ask and get opinions on experienced people that don't have profit as a motive.
    Here is another persons take on Axolotls and you can click on his breeding and rearing pages for much better information than your LFS will provide.
    Information on Axolotis