Brine Shrimp: good or bad?

Discussion in 'Fish Food' started by bama, Apr 9, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bama

bama Humpback Whale

I have been feeding small amounts of brine shrimp to my false perc for the past week and he absolutly loves them. So does my CBS. Anyways, are there any negatives which can come with dumping self raised brine shrimp into my tank?

2. Click Here!

3. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

I cant think of any....All my critters love'em
    JMO : )

LG

4. divott

divott Giant Squid

arent brine shrimp considered to have little nutritional value? more like candy from what ive heard. mysis is the way to go from what ivebeen told.

5. lillys Grandad

lillys Grandad Horrid Stonefish

True enough...but it is one of many suppliments...all relitive to a balanced diet. : ) ..I even buy the nori(sushi seaweed wraps) and grind them in my coffee bean grinder...a couple sprinkles of that here and there...they love it.;D
    LG

6. divott

divott Giant Squid

thats a new one. very cool idea. i hope you spoil the grandkid even more. lol

7. salsalito25

salsalito25 Stylophora

If i remember rite as long as the brine themselves go in ur tank at feeding time is good... But the left over eggs shells and such from self raising them can be a bad thing as far as chem level's go...

Good Luck...

8. Click Here!

9. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

Newly hatched brine shrimp have a very high nutrient content but the adults do not. You can soak adult shrimp in a vitamin supplement to increase their nutrient content but you risk polluting your water if you do this too often.

10. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

First of all, live adult brine shrimp are not nutritionless! The nutrition is just different.
    As nauplii, the nutrition is in the form of fatty acids, and as they grow, this level is reduced, especially after the egg sack is consumed, until as adults, the fatty acid content is low.
    However, as they grow to adults, the protein content increases from a low point to quite a high level for Great Salt Lake artemia.
    The misconception that some people have about poor nutrition in brine shrimp stems from the fact that frozen brine protein levels are reported on the packages as a percentage of wet weight including packaging fluids.
    When reported as a percentage of DRY weight, GSL artemia have protein levels in the high 50% range, approaching 60%.
    That compares with marine flake food protein percentages that run in the mid 40% range.
    By gut loading live brine shrimp, you can target feed different nutrition types to your fish, or, in some cases, gut load with medications.
    It is important to separate the cysts from the live brine as they can occasionally lodge in the digestive tract of some fishes.
    Rinsing in fresh water before feeding them to your fish is important because the cysts are known to harbour harmful bacteria that could cause severe problems when introduced to your tank.
    Decapped cysts help eliminate this, or conversely, treat the cysts before hatching, to a half hour bath in water treated with bleach at a rate of 17 ml per gallon.
    For the best information available on artemia, including the above mentioned nutrition, see the United Nations article edited by the Artemia Reference Centre at the University of Ghent.
    Click the link and scroll down to section 4.0, Artemia.
    Table of Contents

11. divott

divott Giant Squid

cool post ray. very imformational and dispelling misconceptions on my part . thank you. and nice to see another ontarioan here.