Brime shrimp breeding info

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by hydrojeff, Mar 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. hydrojeff

hydrojeff Montipora Capricornis

ok i bought the hatchery and i have a 5 gallon setup with a air sponge filter, what kind of info can you give me on the subject, substrate,gravity,temp,light and whatever you can think of ive missed, this is a project for me and my 2 boys, one day we would like to have seahorses but know we need to be able to raise food for the little guys, any help is greatful, thanks guys like always.....::)

2. Click Here!

3. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

First I would mention to research before getting into seahorses as it is recommended to ONLY purchase captive bred seahorses. There are a lot of horses sold as tank bred, captive bred, etc, but you need to research the source because most are actually "net pen" raised and are subject to the same pathogens that wildcaught horses are. In the US, true captive bred can be found at SeahorseSource for example. Most at LFS's are net pen or wild caught.
    You do not need live food now for most seahorses as they are trained to eat frozen mysis, unless they are wild caught.
    As for growing brine shrimp, I found that using a tank didn't work well except for very low density growing that didn't supply the need I had for the dwarf lion I was feeding at the time.
    I went through a lot of experimentation over the years and evolved to the point I'm now growing them in 26g garbage pails that are tilted on an angle with aeration at the low point to try to keep as much food in suspension as possible. The tank was difficult to keep food in suspension unless I used a motil live algae which was difficult to keep a culture of.
    I found that the fastest growing method (using Tahitian Blend cryopaste from Brine Shrimp Direct) was also the most labour intensive as more frequent water changes were necessary as it was harder to keep the cryopaste in suspension. Also, for me in Canada, it was expensive due to boarder problems and shipping costs ever since 9/11.
    The cheapest for me was to culture non-motil nannochloropsis to use as feed until the shrimp reach juvenile stage and then switch to Tahitian Blend. It also takes longer though for them to grow to adult. You can use nanno at all stages but at reasonable densities of BS is takes even longer than just using nanno to the juvenile stage. Using nanno is more work to grow the nanno but I do a lot fewer water changes (about every ten days) using nanno compared to the frequent water changes (about every 3 days) when using Tahitian Blend cryopaste.
    For low density growth, it can be done simply in a two litre pop bottle or a gallon jug tilted slightly.
    Because you live in Florida, you can buy cheaply at livebrineshrimp.com or you can even throw a kids pool in the yard and grow them outdoors after seeding the water with some algae.
    My brine shrimp page has a description of what worked for me, and, it has links to some brine shrimp pages with a lot of information on them, depending on just how much you really want to learn about artemia.
    You can check out my page at:
    RAISING BRINE SHRIMP TO ADULT