Brightwell to Smirnoff - a change in the manner of carbon dosing

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by steve wright, Jan 9, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Nor_Cal_Guy

Nor_Cal_Guy Gigas Clam

Way to go Steve. I'm going to keep following this. I had the bloom problem with Vodka dosing, I'm going to keep with the 5ml dosing regiment of bio fuel in my 100 gallon system. I am more reluctant to use vodka again due to the risks.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

Thanks Nor Cal Guy

I am on day 5 of 3rd week today and up to 1.5ml of Vodka
    which I dose in 2 parts, approx 12 hours apart

still no negatives to report
    corals are improving in coloration
    SPS Acro frags made about 2 weeks ago are encrusting base and coloring up
    sand bed looks cleaner
    skimmer is working double time
    algaes are receding noticable
    general tank aesthetics are improving

LPS corals not losing colour - been feeding with extra food stuffs and adding ammino acid based additives (no more than 5ml per day) in order to ensure nutritional needs are accounted for in the lower nutrient enviroment

will progress to 2mls per day on Saturday this week
    my assesment at present is that it will not take many more weeks with the extra 0.5ml increase on weekly basis to start having positive impact

Ill update with a few new pictures tomorrow when lights come on

Steve

4. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

Steve, what sort of amino acid additive are you using?

5. steve wright

Thanks Nismo
    Im using a combination of Brightwell Aquatics - Restor, and Kents Chromaplex
    both of these additives contain aminos and I alternate between the 2 on a daily basis

Steve

6. Nismo400rgtr

Nismo400rgtr Teardrop Maxima Clam

I appreciate your reply.

Is that 5mL the recommended dosage for your size tank or is it just your deemed regimen? What time of day do you add? Is it 5mL one shot or split? How long have you Been using these?-before the vodka or since you began?

Sorry for soo many questions.

7. steve wright

questions are appreciated Nismo

the stated dose on both products would be 5ml for 50 gallons but thats when broadcast feeding
    I use a pipette to feed and thus 5ml in 75 gallons is OK IMO as Im putting more where the corals are and losing less to the skimmer / purigen/ carbon etc
    I have dosed both products even when I used Bio Fuel for the same reason, to add nutrients replacing the natural ones being stripped out

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

Awesome thread Steve. Thanks for putting your reef "at risk" for the exploration of science and future benefit of countless reefs.

Questions: Do you have a drip feed, or just slowly release the vodka over a period of say, 30-60 seconds in an area of high water movement?

And you'd think the alcohol would evaporate off pretty quickly in turbulant water and 80 degree water?

Keep posting!

10. steve wright

Thank you Sacul

at present with only using 1.5ml of Vodka each day
    I am using a cleaned out syringe from a test kit
    and load 0.8ml am, I have the tip under the water level and gently release it in front of a wave maker - I take about 3 mins to release 0.8ml
    I then do 0.7ml - approx 12 hours later using same method

next week I will do 1ml AM and 1ml PM

When/ If the Qty gets higher than I can feel comfortable adding with a syringe - (if in 10 weeks time Im still increasing and thus dosing 5ml or more) I will use the water collecting syringe from a test kit and set that up with clamped airline tube to release contents over a longer period of time

Steve

11. steve wright

Time to share some images
    hopefully the improvements will be visible on these photos

This image came from my thread on Bio Fuel - it was taken after a few weeks using Bio Fuel

[​IMG]

these images where taken today
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

hopefully you can see that there has been a shift from green to purple on the rockwork
    as the green/ black algae dies off, coraline can encrust the vacant surface area

Steve

12. steve wright

Update

after yesterdays water change
    I removed the Rowa from my filter and am going to see just what Vodka can achieve on its own
    still running Carbon and changing that every 4 weeks
    but wanted to see if there would be in increase in micro algae development resulting from the removal of GFO

glass cleaning has been a twice weekly task up to this point (was doing it 3 times before carbon dosing so its improved the situation by 33% anyway)

I have fresh on hand, thus if the next 7 days results in 1 additional need to scrape glass
    I can always re introduce

Steve