breeding phytoplankton

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by 10acrewoods, Jan 12, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

So have looked at a few sights and am going to try to breed some phytoplankton and have a good idea but only thing I didn't see is a temp. any one know what temp I should keep water at. Most setups are just from 2 liter bottles and have no temp control is this saying roomtemp is ideal.
    Also has any ever started a culter just by using DT live phytoplankton? How has this worked for you?
    Thank in advance

2. Click Here!

3. Froc3

Froc3 Fire Goby

Yeah, i think the stuff can live at room temp. No idea about DT phyto, but if it's live I'm sure you could.. I wouldn't see why not. I'm sure someone on here has phyto going that could help more than I.

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

You will become very frustrated if you try to use DT's. Because it's a blend of 3 different strains, you will rarely have a successful batch.

Here's where you will want to get your culture from. https://3kserver7.com/~frank/secure/agora.cgi

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

6. 10acrewoods

10acrewoods Fire Goby

7. rayjay

rayjay Gigas Clam

I have 170 gallons of nanno cultures that I grow in four 26g garbage containers, one 20g garbage container, and the rest in I.O. pails, both old large ones and newer small pails.
    I only bleach a container after a crash, which doesn't happen that often thankfully. I used to crash more often when I used M.G. fertilizer, but seldom now that I'm using f/2 that I buy in Mass Packs from Florida Aqua Farms.
    My I.O pails, I clean out about every 8 days with a dedicated scrub brush and 160° F water. The garbage pails I only do every four to five weeks.
    When I first started I was using two litre pop bottles and four litre cider jugs, but found it was a lot cheaper to grow this phyto than to import the cryopaste I had been using for growing my brine shrimp to adults. (don't ask my wife what the basement looks like) Now I use the home grown nanno until the brine shrimp are well into the juvenile size, and then use cryopaste (Tahitian Blend) to finish their growth stage.
    Here is a pick of four of my pails under two twin strip fluorescent lamps.

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. ermano

ermano Zoanthid

I always wanted to get into doing this myself...

Nice to see Roger is back and posting!!