Breeding Clowns

Discussion in 'Breeding Tropical Fish' started by JAS, Jun 11, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. JAS

JAS Plankton

Hi all.
    Just a quick question.

Does anyone here breed clownfish ?
    If so, do you let them breed in the main tank or do you have a separate tank ?
    And what equipment do you have in that tank ?

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

This is a fantastic book on this topic.
    ( Clownfishes A guide to their captive care, Breading & Natural History ) By Joyce D. Wilkerson. I would defiantly recommend reading this if you are interested in breading Clowns. John

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 11, 2007
  4. chrisANDbarb

chrisANDbarb Fire Worm

i second getting the book. we have a pair of A. polymnus that started spawning a few months ago and have some juveniles and fry growing out now. you can do it in your main tank but most people who are serious have separate stock tanks.

5. target001

target001 Skunk Shrimp

my local fish shop breed there own all they have apparently is a 3 foot tank with a teracotta pot in it with NOTHING else but the water and filtration
    they drop a pair in and let em go nuts when the eggs are layed they take the clowns out. of course i bought a pair of them and found they had no idea what an anenime was but i got around that with a margarine container muahahahahahaaaa;D

6. mpedersen

mpedersen Plankton

FWIW Jas, I keep all my broodstock clownfish in nanocube community reef tanks ( so far only my Onyx Percs spawn). If you can get them to spawn on a removeable surface, it works out great. If you have to leave the eggs in the tank to hatch out, it's a bit more work, but still can be done successfully.

Matt

7. Phayes

Phayes Aiptasia Anemone

Do Explain this margarine container trick!

8. Click Here!

9. Iraf

Iraf Snowflake Eel

Wrong place for it I know but if you have any onyx percs you want to sell please PM me cause I have been looking for a pair for a long time, noone here locally will ever get them in

10. target001

target001 Skunk Shrimp

margarine container trick

get yer anenomie and to clowns put them in a marg container sit it on top of yer tank put just enough water in there to keep the anenomie submerged and turn lights off for an hour with an airstone in there too, after an hour come back and return all to the tank cloens should stick like glue the the anenomie

1 person likes this.
  11. botie

botie Feather Duster

hey jas go to this forum this guy breeds clownfish and he gives step by step and tells everything he does on the way alot of good info Something Fishy Forum :: Index. go under hueys clownhouse

12. -RG-

-RG- Astrea Snail