Breaking down tank - what to do with live rock

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by TravisVT, Sep 10, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TravisVT

TravisVT Fire Worm

I have had my 90 up and running for 3 years now. I think I am going to break it down this winter so I can gut and re-do the room where it sits now. The tank and stand are old so I am not going to ever re-use those. I am wondering what to do with the 80ish pounds of live rock I have in the tank. Just recently I noticed some aptasia growing so I don't want to give that potential headache to somebody else. I likely will build another tank in the future (still have a 65), what would you do with the live rock in the tank now?
    Thanks for any help or suggestions

2. Click Here!

3. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I'd probably use some in the 65 and then dry the rest out and keep it for a future tank.

Mr. Bill and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  4. TravisVT

TravisVT Fire Worm

Is there a process to drying it out properly, or just literally take it out of the tank and let it dry out and die?

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I would probably bleach it as well but sun drying will be fine.You could then just store it in buckets or bins until you are ready to use it again.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  6. TravisVT

TravisVT Fire Worm

I just purchased a IM 20 gallon fusion to house a few fish from the 90 that I could not get rid of. My question is would you transfer some of the live rock from the 90 to the new 20 or would you start fresh in the 20? Overall the 90 is in good shape with the exception of some (maybe 4-5 that I can see) aptasia on a few rocks. Does aptasia in a tank mean its in the water column and possible all over the live rock even though I cant see it? I don't want to start the 20 with a aptasia problem but it would be nice to have some established rock as well.

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Transferring rock will help cycle faster but dry rock helps keep pests out of the new system.

8. Click Here!

9. TravisVT

TravisVT Fire Worm

This is my dilemma. I guess I would like to know the odds of aptasia being on the live rock I transfer over if there is none that can be seen on that rock??

10. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

If you see one, there are probably 3 to 5 more you don't see. Knowing I have it, I would dry out the rock, and then sees it with live rock that I know to be pest free

11. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I'll take the rock. LOL.