Brand new to the hobby and need advice - 75 gal

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by jmann124, Apr 22, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

I'm about 2 months into the saltwater hobby. I have a 10 gallon freshwater tank w/2 guppies, 2 glofish, and 2 mollys(just ad babies, so like 42 mollys). I have done quite a bit to so far, based on info I rec'd from members on another forum. I need all the advice/help you experts can offer.

I bought a 75 gallon commercial tank on Craigslist. They bought it from PetCo when PetCo was upgrading their equipment. I took the 2 glass dividers out of it to be able to use the full size of the tank. The tank has 2 spouts at the top on either side of the tank. I am going to be using them for the return lines. I will attach pictures of the 75 gallon "Main Display" tank.

I am using as much equipment as I have and can get my hands on cheap(as long as it is good) trying to money. That is why I planned using my extra 10 gallon for the sump and cutting the glass from the dividers of the 75 gallon for sump baffles. I am also utilizing a friends woodworking skills to build the cabinet stand of my saltwater tank. This will save me money and allow me to have it exactly how I want/need.

I read a post on Setting Up a FOWLR Aquarium. I just have too many things that I get lost in while reading up on everything. I have been doing tons of reading and studying up on the subject, but it's always worked best in other endeavors for me to study and have advice/help from those more experienced. Especially since I've seen some people say one thing while someone else says another. For example, one guy said that you should have a sump, but I've seen other people saying that a sump and filter(other than live rock, sand, and the like) are completely unnecessary(I will run a sump, BTW). So, I am a little apprehensive about some things. HELP PLEASE!

I will post some pics and info on the things that I have done already. I built the sump, most of the cabinet, drilled and painted the back of the tank. Also bought a few items as well.

My intro thread is here, http://www.3reef.com/forums/new-hobby/newbie-working-first-build-133460.html, with a few pics.

Thanx in advance,
    Joey

2. Click Here!

3. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Here are some pics of most of the stuff I have done so far. I also bought an Aquamaxx HOB1 and a Maxi-jet 600 powerhead for the DT.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  4. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

Do you have any specific questions?

5. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

Well, I've had some ppl tell me not to get any LR and others say at least get some, and them others say go with all LR. So, I'm not really sure what to do. I kinda just figured I'd go with at least a few pieces of LR. Also, should I go with live sand or not? I'm planning have having about a 2" sand bed in the DT and about 3" in the fuge(located in the sump).

I'm currently do a little final research, mostly looking at the best prices, on the return pump. I will more than likely be buying one within the next week or so.

I have some questions about things that are a few steps off also. They're not questions that I need answered right now. Just some thoughts on livestock and such.

Eventually I'll have a few questions about RO/DI and ATO's, but not yet.

6. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

With LR, you run the risk of unwanted hitchhikers. I would personally order all dry rock from someplace like marcorocks.com or reefcleaners.org. Also, BRS I believe has reef saver rock as well.

About the sand, I would do mostly dry sand and 1 bag of live sand on the top. That should be enough to seed the rock and the rest of the sand as well.

1 person likes this.
  7. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

IMO, get dry sand, and a 1" bed, 2" beds can get a little hairy as they can maybe start to harbor some bad bacteria that can leach out. And do a 4+ for the sump for the same reason. 2-4" beds seem to cause issues! Then get a few pounds of live sand from a buddy or LFS.

I'd def do mostly dry rock with a few pounds of live to seed the tank! cheaper and less hitchhiking issues!

Good luck, and ask away!

1 person likes this.
  8. Click Here!

9. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

DAMN you smitty!lol

1 person likes this.
  10. jmann124

jmann124 Feather Duster

One of the LFS close by has lace rock and other types of dry rock for $1.99/lb. Would that be ok if I wash it?

On sand, I don't want anything so fine that it looks like a bomb is going off everytime something dives down into it or when I clean the tank. I also don't want anything really coarse. I want some livestock that will dig around in the sand. So, nothing damaging to them. All that said, what is a good sand size?

11. sticksmith23

sticksmith23 Giant Squid

marcorocks.com would be a great place to get your sand as well honestly. I do believe they have all the different sized grains available as well. I know you don't want "sugar" sized grains. That is way to fine. Macrorocks also has "shelf" rock that is awesome to work with as well according to some other members on here. $1.99/lb is a good buy though IMO

1 person likes this.
  12. kwinter1

kwinter1 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

I would get the course sand from marcos. I got there sugar and wouldn't go that fine again. I hear people like there rock personally I got mine from brs. I got the dry pukani, I really like it. I only have 65lbs and it is more than enough for my 125, very porous stuff. The lace rock is pretty heavy and not very porous = not gonna get a lot for your money and has smaller area for bacteria to inhabit. Return pumps you cant go wrong with the mag series imo but there a bunch out there people use.

1 person likes this.