brand new tectus turbo snail died.

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by NanoMano, Nov 15, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

I got 2 turbo snails this past Saturday, the one who died is very large. My parameters are perfect. He was high up on the glass lastnight now he has been in the same spot all day... Notmoving or anything theothersnailiscuising around having a feast...I don'tget it.. I acclimatised them the way I do any other invert. Could he have been old? Lol I don't know why else he could die.
    One emerald crab
    Two small hermit crabs
    One ocellaris clown
    One skunk cleaner shrimp
    One tectus turbo

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

they often expire Nano Mano
    not always easy to ID root causes with CUC members
    temperatures in home reef aquaria are often considered to be one of the reasons they do not always survive as long as we would hope

are you sure it is dead
    it is also not uncommon for a snail to stay in one place for long periods

this will seem obvious, but if its attached to the glass side of the tank, then it is still alive
    if it has fallen on and it laying sideways on the sand bed or rocks, then it is probably to late for it

snails often lose their grip and fall over , the larger the snail, the heavier the shell it has to carry and this makes it difficult for them to flip back over and right themselves
    this combined with the fact that fish, and crabs etc, take advantage of them in this flesh expossed situation could be one reason it passed away

if it is the right way up but still
    try to gently lift it , if it comes away easily then it is probably a goner
    but if it seems to still be stuck to the surface it is on, then it's very much alive

Steve