Branching Acropora Coral bleaching?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by djollie13, Oct 2, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. djollie13

djollie13 Plankton

Ok so I've had this Acropora coral for about 3-4 weeks, water levels and perameters are good. But it's slight looking like it's dying/bleaching the yellow brightness glow of it is starting to retract on the tips where they are becoming white/brown instead of the bright yellow. Any advise in how to save this guy?

I may put him in front of a power head as he maybe but getting enough flow but he's been right close to the return pump near the top of the tank this whole time.

Just little unsure why this us happening. If anyone has had any similar thing happen please advise of a solution.

Thanks.

Tanks 3 months old. Water is looks great. ph 8.2, nitrites/nitrates are 0. ammonia 0 etc.

Picture attached of the coral

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

You dsid tips are bleaching or losing tissue? If tissue, alk. Swing is a candidate.

4. djollie13

djollie13 Plankton

I thought it maybe the coral growing but doesn't look like it. Tips are turning white. From yellow. The whole coral is yellow. So I guess tissue... Did you see the pic? I may have to get an alk test kit. What's swing?

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Are you sure that is not a frag of branching Hydnophora? You're most definitely going to need alk, ca and magnesium test kits.

6. djollie13

djollie13 Plankton

I think your right. It is a Hydnophora

I've been trying to find out what it was lol yeah I will have to get them test kits and figure out what's maybe upsetting it. All my other corals are doing great.

Green torch coral
    Green Polyps
    Lordhowensis Coral
    Green eyed cup coral

7. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

A pic without all the blue light will help. Alk swing is your alkalinity changing drastically throughout the day and not being stable. You honestly shouldn't keep any corals without proper test kits.

8. Click Here!

9. djollie13

djollie13 Plankton

I have test kits for Ammonia, PH, Nitrate, Nitrite... Going to get the others today. I'm new to the hobby.

Here is a pic. U can see what I mean.

Attached Files:

10. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

That's tissue necrosis. Check your alk, mag and calcium soon.

11. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Looks like burned tips to me. Probably an alk. swing.

DSC reef likes this.