Brain

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by bldblu_2, Jun 9, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bldblu_2

bldblu_2 Astrea Snail

Hi
    Just got a green and red open brain yesterday. Any suggestions on placement? Current, light needs?
    Thanks for input
    ;D ;D

2. Click Here!

3. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Very cool, well I used to keep my guy on some rocks...but since i moved them both to the sand they seem much happier. Good luck, they are very cool.

4. bldblu_2

bldblu_2 Astrea Snail

Yours get enough light down at the bottom?

5. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Yup, with the new t-5s they are both very happy.

6. jtReef

jtReef Ritteri Anemone

I also have mine down on the sand bed and only running 4 florescent lights totaling about 200 wts. I find when they are down on the sand bed the water flow comes across the sand bed from the side and over them allowing them to catch more food in the current compared to sitting on a rock ledge. Check the Brain at night and the feeding tenacles should be visable on the inside of the ridges.

7. bldblu_2

bldblu_2 Astrea Snail

Thank you both. I moved him to bottom and will check him tonight. :)

8. Click Here!

9. BristleWorm

BristleWorm Plankton

Also if you wanted to, you could frag your brain, I never done it because I never purchased one, but when I get my hands on one I will. What you do is place a ruber band in the middle of the coral. Then as that little section dies saw/cut the coral in half, I never done it before so I wouldn't be able to get into further deph. Give me a break I am 16 and pay for my own stuff.

10. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Brains, which I believe you have a Trachyphelia brain, don't require intense lighting. Moderate lighting at best will suffice in keeping your brain happy. They are a so called "meaty" coral which often times balloons up and becomes almost twice its size, mainly during feeding on plankton with its small polyps.
    These corals do not have a very strong chemical defense so placement near other corals does not pose much of a problem to other corals, however, many corals will sting it, so be cautious with corals stronger than it with regards to sweeper tentacles.
    Water movement should be somewhat moderate to remove detritus and carry oxygen and food to it. High calcium and strontium is a must as well for growth of its calcerous skeleton!

11. Tanked001

Tanked001 Astrea Snail

I have a red and green open brain coral for a few months now. I have always kept it at the bottom of the tank in the sand bed. I have it directly under a halide light because they do require bright light. I feed my guy all sorts of stuff from cyclopeeze and phyto. You can feed it anything you feed a filter feeding animal.

It's really cool to watch this thing during the different tmes of the day. It grows and shrivels up. I wouldn't keep anythng else to close to it becasue it does have tentacles. I wouldn't worry to much about fish, I have a small yellow clown goby that likes to sit in it. Altho I'm sure it could swallow it because the mouth can open quite large.